41.

Luciana came into the trailer while we were packing the last of the stuff into our bag.

She looked shaken, face ashen as she moved to sit down beside me.

Nick barely looked at her, "Are you coming with us or not?"

"Nick," I scolded, placing my hand on her shoulder, "Are you okay?"

"He's getting warm," she whispered, looking up at me, "He didn't get warm before."

Nick threw the shirt he was holding into the bag, turning around to look at us with his hands on his hips, "That's because he wasn't bitten the last time. Not by an infected anyway. He's lied to you all this time. Which is why you should come with us. Get out of here and live."

"I can't," Luciana said loudly, standing up, "This is my home."

"Your home is going to be attacked!" Nick's voice was just as loud as hers and I quickly stood up.

"Okay, that's enough! Nick, you can't force her to come with us. She's made up her mind."

"She's going to die here." he said quietly.

"Then I die," she whispered then she turns to me wrapped her arms around me, "Good luck."

I quickly wrapped my arms around her, "If you change your mind..."

"I'll find you."

The two of them stared at each other before Nick grabbed the bag he had shoved our stuff into, "See you later, then."

"You could stay." she said quietly, "Defend this place. Our faith will help us."

"No," he shook his head, "They'll annihilate us. You've seen how many people they have. The guns. I'm not willing to risk my life, Taylor's life, on faith."

With that, he made for the door, looking over his shoulder, at me, with raised eyebrows.

"Okay, I'm coming." I whispered, grabbing our bottle of water.

As we walked toward the bus, I felt the eyes of those of The Colonia watching us and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nick opening his mouth to speak.

"Don't," I cut him off, "Don't say anything. Let's just do it and get it over with."

His pursed his lips but did as I said and pulled the vehicle's door open.

**

We walked slowly down the road. Beside me, Nick was still brooding; angry that our friend had decided to stay behind and face death than come with us.

"Do you think your mom and Alicia are still alive?" I ask, deciding to break the silence.
Since we had left, he hasn't mentioned them once.

He shrugged, "I do. Now that I'm gone, I know my mom will protect Alicia until the end."

"What does that mean? Now that you're gone?"

He looked down at me, "Come on, Tay. You know as well as I do that Alicia has always somewhat resented me. I was always the focus of my mom's attention."

I took a sip of water, "Do...do you ever think about doing it again? The drugs?"

He licked his lips, "Sometimes. I'm not going to lie to you, Taylor, when I was making that Oxy, I thought about it."

I took his hand, making him look down at me.

"Then I thought about you. About my mom, Alicia. The hell I put you through before." he continued, "And I couldn't."