52.

two updates in two days? whaaaat?

also, if you like Bill Skarsgård, please feel free to check out my Roman Godfrey fic :)
**

The next morning, Maddie had suggested to the woman who was in charge of the pantry that I could come keep the inventory of all food and supplies that came into the ranch and knowing that Nick was coming down to get some things to finish putting the roof on house, I put some things aside.

He smiled as he came down the steps, which faded seconds later when Troy stopped him from coming any further and remembering what had happened the last time they had been in conversation with one another, I hesitantly made my way towards them, ducking behind of the shelves closest to them.

I could just hear their conversation.

"So, Taylor," Troy began, "She's been here since nine this morning. She's very prompt."

"She's just trying to do her part," Nick said softly.

"Oh, I know," Troy agreed, "Heck of a job she's doing too. She's um, cleared those bottom shelves good. And man, her ass-"

I heard the clatter of some tins and rounded the corner to see that Nick had Troy pushed up against the shelf behind him.

"Say it again," Nick hissed, "Go on, say it!"

"Nick," he looked down when I touched his arm, eyes softening when he saw it was me, "Let him go. Please? People are staring."

"Yeah, Nicky," Troy grinned, "People are staring."

"Troy, how about you just stop?" I asked, making sure to push Nick back, "Nick, he's just doing it to get a rise outta you."

"What are you afraid of, Nick?" Troy goaded, "Afraid she might want to be with a real man? With someone who could...treat her right?"

That was it, Nick turned around and went for him again but I quickly put myself back in between them, "Stop! Nick, just walk away!"

"Fine!" he yelled, throwing his hands up in the air as he did leave the underground area and once he was gone, I whirled around on Troy.

"Why do you have to be such an ass?"

He held his arms out, "What can I say, sweetheart?"

Rolling my eyes, I grabbed the things that Nick had left behind and followed in his footsteps, leaving the Otto boy, alone.

**

We were both up at the house when Alicia came running up the hill. "Guys!" she called, making us look up, "Guys! Gretchen and her family are leaving. They've packed up and are going!"

"Oh Jesus," Nick muttered, dropping the hammer onto the floor.

"What?" she asked.

"Mike's her brother," Nick said, "Troy's going to be pissed."

"When is he ever not pissed?" I muttered, groaning when I saw that he was heading towards the scene. He always had to partake in the drama.

We arrived just in time to hear Troy threaten to shoot the man on the gate if he opened it to let them out.

We came to a stop beside Maddie, who was watching the young man with careful eyes, her hand subconsciously rested on her gun in case she needed it.

I knew that if she had to, she would put Troy down with little to no hesitation.

"Mike?" Troy yelled, tapping on the passenger side of the van, "Mike, get your ass out here. People died for us, Mike! Our people and you're gonna run, huh? That's not what a man does, Mike!"

"Troy!" Jake barked, appearing behind us, "Troy, stand down! Dad says they can go."

"Yeah, he said that they can leave without ranch property." the younger boy argued.

"Ranch property? They're not taking ranch property. This is theirs."

2hetff"They gassed up, didn't they? That's ranch property. And I guarantee you that they took plenty of shit from the pantry!" he started banging on the window, "And I want to see inventory, Vernon! I want it inspected!"

"Hey," Jake said, grabbing hold of him to drag him back from the van, "This is not what dad wanted!"

"Why the hell should I give a damn about what dad wants? He never gives a shit about me!"

Jake finally succeeded in getting him away from the window, only to shove him against the side of it, "You're not protecting the ranch!"

"The hell do you know about it?" Troy asked, pushing him away, "You haven't got a clue what this ranch is about." He pointed at Maddie, "I mean, she's been here a week and she gets it. Are you gonna fight for what's yours or you gonna surrender it, huh?"

"That's not your call, is it?"

"You gonna fight or are you gonna surrender?"

"You're not in charge though, are you?"

I stepped back when Troy swung for him, feeling Nick's hand on my shoulder when Jake fell into the side of the van, bashing his head as he went down and out of nowhere, Jeremiah rushed forward and gave Troy a smack of his own.

It was a strange thing to see; to see Troy actually look afraid of his father as he landed another smack onto his face and I felt myself moving forward as if my feet had a mind of their own and I ignored Nick when he yelled for me to come back.

"Woah. Woah!" Jake breathed and while he stood in front of Troy and Maddie pulled Jeremiah away, I ducked behind the older Otto brother, placing my hand on Troy's face to check if there was any further damage to his eye.

"Get...get off me!" he yelled, shoving me and I stumbled back a couple of steps before I was on my ass on the ground.

Troy stepped forward as if he was coming for me and Nick, thinking that he was indeed doing that, stepped in front of me, "Hey, don't man. She was just making sure that you're alright."

Alicia helped me up as Nick continued to try and calm Troy down and I quietly wiped off my jeans as there was a squeak from the gate and looking over my shoulder, I could see that Vernon and his family were finally getting to leave.

I could only hope that they were making the right decision.