30.

"First thing's first." he mumbled, "We gotta find one." 

"Okay." I nodded. 

Shouldn't be too hard. I mean, they own the world now.

Ahead of us on the empty road, I spotted one slowly making its way toward us and I pointed it out to Nick. 

"Yeah," he agreed, "It's a big one." 

We hid behind a nearby abandoned car until it passed by and he looked down at me. 

"I'll grab it. You kill it." he whispered, "Okay?" 

"Yeah."

He silently moved from behind the vehicle, snuck up behind the person and grabbed hold of them, locking their arms behind their back. 

"Taylor, now!" 

I gripped the knife he had given me tightly in my hand and surged forward, moving my hand to the back of the head to steady them before driving the knife into the top of their head. 

"That was great," he praised, leaning across to kiss me, "Now grab his feet. We'll take him to that building up ahead." 

I did as he said and the two of us quickly reached the small shelter, where we placed him down on the floor." 

"I'll do you first," Nick said, "The smell will be a little overpowering at first though, remember?" 

"Nick, just shut up and do it," I snapped, "We only have till sunset." 

He held his hands up before getting to it, slicing into the skin of the man and I looked away, having to cover my nose as the stench of decaying inside hit me. 

Though he was gagging, Nick continued and threw the knife down when he had done and he threw a glance my way, "You good?" 

"Yeah," I whispered, holding up my arms, "Let's just get it over with." 

He slathered the warm blood onto my skin, working his way up to my shoulders and shirt. I sat quietly, focusing on not throwing up over the both of us. 

After he had finished covering me, I set about covering him, making sure to get all of his exposed skin and clothes and once I was done, all that was recognisable to me were his warm brown eyes.

"Come on. We're running out of time." 

Nodding, I followed him back out into the hot sunshine and as we headed down the empty road, he took my hand. 

**

We made it back to the boat quicker than we thought we would but when we climbed on board, Luis wasn't on the deck. 

"Oh great," I whispered, pulling out my knife, "He's gone." 

"He's probably just below deck." Nick said as he passed by me, "I'll go check." 

I followed him inside, closing the glass door behind me so nothing snuck up on me and then sat down, picking at my nails as I waited for him to come back up. 

"Told you," he grinned over the noise of Luis' growls, "He was just waiting for us downstairs." 

I pursed my lips, watching as he dragged him upstairs and then tied his wrists together before stuffing a cloth into his mouth so he wouldn't bite us. 

"We're doing the right thing, right?" I asked, as we tried to get off the boat again, this time however, it was a little more difficult. 

"Of course," he said immediately, "You were right. If she gets her son back, there could be a chance that we get to stay." 

"And if she says no?" 

He gave me a look, "If she says no, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

"I can't go back on the boat, Nick." 

"I know," he murmured, "And we're not gonna. Stop worrying." 

The rest of the trip back was spent in silence and when we reached the estate again, I could see the horror on both Maddie and Alicia's faces. 

"You take him to her," I whispered, nodding when Nick looked down at me as two of Celia's men came to take Luis from us, "She likes you." 

He shook his head, "No. She needs to know that this was your idea. She has to know that you understand, Taylor. If she sees that you understand, she'll let us stay." 

I looked over his shoulder at his mom and sister. Maddie looked like she was ready to kill someone and so I nodded, "Fine."

Looking significantly happier than she did last night, Celia greeted us with smiles as we walked into the room. "What do you see?" she asks us,  "Look at him. Is this death? What you see, is my son. Changed, yes, but no less my son. My Luis." She came over to us, "Who you brought back to me." 

Nick reached behind and took my hand, making the woman look my way. 

"There are many who do not understand us. Or are afraid to. You are not. Why?"

"I don't know." he whispered.

 "You belong here  with us, Nicholas. With me. Stay." she looked at me again, "You helped. You are also welcome to stay." 

"What about our family?"

"You want to do the right thing. But they are not like you."

"Celia, they are not bad people." I whispered, making them both look at me. 

"And when they look upon my son, what do they see? Go on, say it." she demanded.

"A monster."

"Is that what we call these creatures who can't control their nature," she asked, "Their hunger? And what do we call those who destroy them? The ones who kill without thinking. Which is the monster?" 

"They'll learn," I promise, stepping forward, "They won't hurt anyone. They'll be safe here. There will be no reason to." 

"Please." Nick whispered. 

She looked between us again, "You will be responsible for their actions while they are here."

"Of course." 

"Then tell your family they are welcome to stay. But not Victor Strand. He doesn't belong here. He never did. This is not apocalypse. This is our beginning, Nicholas. The end of death itself. Life eternal."

I closed the door behind us as we left, turning to look at him and saw a large grin on his face. 

"We did it," I whispered, planting my lips on his, "Baby, we did it!"