61.

so, hi! idk if anyone still has this in their library and i know it's been soooo long since i updated which is rather shocking but here i am, back with a new chapter and a vow to finish this damn story! 

**

Over the next few days, Walker's people moved their trailers and tents into the ranch, much to the chagrin of our fellow residents. 

The morning after Jeremiah's...suicide, Jake came to the bunkhouse, where we all were and told us that we could move into his father's house - that he and Troy didn't want it. 

So that was that. Nick and I moved back in with her and I had to admit, it was weird.

It was strange living in a proper house again after spending so much time on the road or on boats and it was always strange waking up in there. 

This morning, I woke up alone; Nick was out with Troy and some of the other members of the Militia, getting rid of the small build-up of the dead that had come around the fences last night. 

I got up and moved to the window, peeling back the curtains to take a peek out and I could see the men who were up guarding the gate. 

I had wanted to go out with Nick and the others to help, so I could be a little more involved with ranch life but Nick shot that down right away. 

He said it was too dangerous. 

Pfft.

How was I ever supposed to get better with my skills if he wouldn't let me do anything? 

I decided to make my way downstairs, reaching the bottom just as Alicia came through the door. 

"Hey," I mumbled, walking past Otto's study to see Maddie rifling through some of the drawers, "You want some coffee?" 

"Yeah," she nodded, "Just a small one though. I gotta get back to Jake." 

"He's still not right?"

Since his dad passed, he had been under the weather. I think maybe the stress of that and the fact that he was now in charge of the whole ranch, was taking its toll on him.  

"No," Alicia sighed, sitting down at the table, "He says he's fine but I know he's not. Have you got any painkillers?" 

"Should do," I nodded, standing up to look in the many cupboards that were in this kitchen.

"I thought you were going out with Nick today?" 

"I was supposed to be," I said, "But he says it's too dangerous. That he'd rather train with me on my own so he doesn't have to worry about me." 

"He's gotten a lot more protective about you," she noted, resting her head on her hand as I poured her a mug. 

"I think he's worried about me being around Troy," I sat down across from her, "But I want to be able to defend myself, y'know?" 

"That's stupid," she shakes her head, "He's not always going to be around to protect you." 

I nod, sighing as I pour her the last of the coffee that's in the pot. We were running low on water, "I know. That's what I say but he just shuts me down." 

"He's just trying to keep you safe, Taylor." Madison pipes up from where she's still sat in Otto's study and I roll my eyes. I was a big girl. I was quite capable of taking care of myself. 

"I'm going to go get some more water," I mumble, exiting the kitchen, slowing when I hear Alicia calling for me to wait. 

"I'll take some back to Jake." 

The two of us smile and greet some of the numerous residents of the ranch, some of who I was still to learn the names of but I was slowly learning. 

"Here you go," Freddie, one of the few I did know quite well, smiles as we approach the pump, "She's all yours." 

"Thanks, Fred," I reply, nodding for Alicia to go first. Jake needed it more than me.

"He's taking longer to recover from the attack," Alicia murmurs as she starts pumping, "He didn't injest it, I know but..." 

"It's affecting him in other ways." I finish and she nods.

We both frown when the pump makes a horrible spluttering noise and it becomes clear that it's running on empty.

"The hell?" 

"You take it," I tell her, glancing over at the gate when I hear approaching vehicles. Looks like Walker was here, "We'll have bigger problems soon enough." 

While she goes back to tell Jake that Qaletaqa was here, I made my way towards the pantry - my assigned job for the day. 

It wasn't long until Jake and Walker - along with Madison and a few of Walker's people- made their way here and I couldn't help but stare at Jake. He did look awful.

I gave Ofelia a small smile when she met my eyes and she nods, practically falling into the wall when Troy comes barrelling down the bunker steps.

Perfect. 

"No," he's shaking his head, "No, not her." 

"Troy," I murmur, "Please, this is not the time." 

"It's the perfect time," he barely glances at me, "She's got no right to be here." 

"She has every right," Qaletaqa says, voice low, "Ofelia is a hero to my people. We're here because of her." 

"Do you really wanna rub my face in that shit, Taqa? Is that smart?" 

"Troy."

I didn't even realise that Nick was here and glancing around the feuding folks, I see that he's sat on the stairs watching the situation (watching Troy) closely. 

Taqa looks to the older Otto brother, "If you can't accept her, how can you accept any of us?"

"We accept her," Jake's quick to say, "We accept the Nation here under the negotiated terms." 

"Nope," Troy interrupts, "No we don't. We don't accept, we tolerate, alright? So let's just-"

I silently move around the group and sit down beside Nick, leaning over so I can speak without anyone else hearing me, "He's going to screw this up."

"No he won't."

"Yes he will," I scoff, ignoring Madison's gaze, "You know what he's like. We both do." 

I lean into him as Troy darts out of the pantry so he doesn't trample me, "Will you talk to him?"

"Why? He won't listen." 

"Yes he will," I'm adamant, "Nick, he likes you. You're the only one who can get through to him when he's like this."

He runs his hand over his hair before nodding, "Yeah, okay." 

"Hey, Nick?" 

He turns when he's at the top of the steps, "Yeah?"

"The next time you're going out to deal with the dead? I'm coming with you." 

"Taylor," he sighs, "Babe, it's not-" 

"I wasn't asking," I get up and go to stand in front of him, leaning up to brush my lips against his, "You can't protect me from everything, Nick."

He kisses my forehead and wraps his arms around my shoulders, "I gotta try though, don't I?"