60.

this is short but i'm getting back into this story 

**

I spent a good part of the night packing both Nick and I's belongings into backpacks and whatever I could find. 

He was with his mom and Alicia and I wanted to be ready for when he came back so we could leave. There was no way he'd put us in any danger. 

So when he came in and fell down onto the bed with a sigh, I was confused. Why wasn't he telling me to get ready to go? Better yet, why wasn't he making any move to leave. 

"We're not leaving," he said quietly, making me freeze, "We can't." 

"What are you talking about?" I asked, "Of course we can! Nick, they're going to come in here and kill us all." 

"They won't." he got up and made for the door, "Taylor, we can't leave here. We won't survive out there. We need this place. Besides, my mom has a plan. Just...stay here, okay?" 

"Where are you going?" 

"Mom's gone up to talk to Jeremiah," he answered, picking up the gun I had placed on our small bedside table, "I'm going to go join her." 

"Why do you need the gun?" 

"I just do, Tay." 

"Your mom's going to kill him, isn't she?" I asked, blocking him from leaving, "I'm not stupid, Nick. I know that this is the only way that Walker lets us live. Hell, come tomorrow, if Otto's dead, we'll all be singing around the campfire together." 

His eyes scanned my face, "Well then we'd better hope that this works." 

**

Alicia and I were silent outside the bunkhouse. She had just finished telling me that her mom had killed her own father. 

I didn't quite know what to say. I mean, I thought I knew Madison Clark well but clearly, after tonight, I don't. 

Though I don't think that's something you go around telling folks. 

The two of us jumped when a gunshot came from the direction of Jeremiah's house and immediately, other people from the ranch started heading in that direction. 

"Oh god," Alicia muttered as Jake came out of his cabin, "I should stop him going. I should, right?"

"You can try," I mumbled, "But maybe it's best you let them see it." 

"They'll kill her." 

"Your mom is smart. I'm sure she'll work something out." I stood up, "Come on, it'll look strange if we don't react." 

We gathered outside of their family home in time to Jake and Troy emerge, Madison following behind them and Jake cleared his throat as he looked out over their community. 

"My dad," he croaked, "He, uh, he's...he-" 

"He's done what's right," Maddie said, stepping forward, "Jeremiah did what he had to do." 

"Will someone get the truck?" Troy asked, "We'll put him in the barn tonight and bury him in the morning." 

A group of men disappeared, following Troy's orders and while they did that, Alicia and I made our way up to where Maddie and Nick were standing. 

"I'm sorry, Troy," I murmured as we walked by him, reaching out to touch his arm, "Really, I am."

He said nothing and brushed by us, into the house so he and Jake could get their father ready for moving.

Everything was silent as Jeremiah's body was carried from the home, wrapped in a white sheet but that did nothing to hide what he'd done. 

By the head, there was a large spot of crimson blood. 

As they drove down the dirt road, I didn't miss the look that Madison and Nick shared and like always, it didn't fill me with confidence.

**

I was up early the next morning; leaving Nick sleeping in the cabin to go take a walk around the ranch and as I walked around the perimeter, I could see and feel the eyes of Walker's men watching my every move.

But they didn't come any closer. 

They must have known what went down last night. 

My suspicions were confirmed when I saw Maddie making her way up the hill to where Walker's truck was; handing over something in a brown sack. 

He saw me watching them and pointed me out to her and she said a quick goodbye before heading in my direction. 

"What was that?" I asked, crossing my arms, "What did you give him? I mean, I have an idea but even you can't be that morbid." 

She stepped closer to me, "You can't tell anyone. Taylor, if Troy finds out that Nick-" 

"Nick did it?" I gaped, "Maddie, what the hell were you thinking letting hi-" 

"He did it on his own accord," she snapped, cutting me off, "I was trying to get Otto to do the right thing and do it himself. But Nick did it." 

"If Troy finds out," I sighed, running my hand through my hair, "He will kill him." 

"I know." 

"Okay," I whispered, "This stays between us." 

"Not even Nick can know," she said and I nodded. 

"I know."