53.

I left Nick to finish the roof, seeing Troy crossing the ranch towards the armoury and like earlier, my feet found themselves following after him. 

I felt a little bit guilty after seeing what happened with Jeremiah and as I made my way underground, I was relieved to see that there was at least some light illuminating my way. 

He was securing guns and looked up when I tripped over a random box of bullets, which I wordlessly picked up. 

"What're you doing down here?" he asked, going back to what he was doing. 

"I dunno," I shrugged, looking at all of the guns, "Guess I just wanted to see if you were okay. I mean, Mike and his family leaving must be hard for you." 

"He...he was soft, but he was," Troy stopped, "Is. He is my friend. Has been since I was a kid. I mean, he stayed in school when I got pulled. But he never quit on me. Never." 

"And he still hasn't," I whispered, stepping closer, "He didn't quit on you. He's standing by his family." 

"He didn't even look at me." he sniffled. 

I debated my next move; I didn't want to get too close in case he lashed out at me again but it was clear that he just needed some comforting so I stepped forward again and wrapped my arms around his middle. 

He was caught off guard. That much was obvious by the way his body went rigid but after a few seconds, I felt his chin rest on my shoulder. 

When I felt him start to move back, I let him go.

"I-um," he cleared his throat, "I'm really sorry about earlier. I just..." 

"Hey," I placed my hand on his arm, "Let's forget about it, yeah? Start fresh?" 

He nodded and I took that to meant that our conversation was over so I took my leave and as I reached the top of the stairs, I saw Maddie making her way over and I quickly turned and walked the other way. 

I didn't really want to answer her questions as to why I was down there.

I met Alicia on my way back to the bunkhouse, who told me that NIck was in the food tent so of course, I headed over there. 

"Hey," he smiled as I sat down beside him, "Good news, the roof is almost done so fingers crossed that the storms hold off, huh?"

I reached over and picked up his fork, taking a forkful of his peas as I nodded, "Hopefully." 

"Where were you?" he asked, "I thought you were right behind me." 

"I was," I mumbled, "But I...just wanted to take a walk." 

"Are you okay?" 

"I'm fine," I smiled, scooting closer, "Now what are we eating? Is that beef?" 

++

Later on, we were walking back home so Nick could show me his progress when we saw someone's silhouette through the window.

"Who is that?" I asked in a hushed whisper. 

Nick sighed, "I think it's Jeremiah." 

We entered the house to see the man pulling our table across the floor. 

"Jeremiah?" Nick said loudly, "What the hell are you doing?" 

He smacked the wood, "That's where it goes." 

Nick held the door open for me and I gave the older man a wide berth to sit on the bed. It was obvious by his movements and slurred speech that he had been drinking. For how long? It was hard to tell. 

"Where the hell have you been?" he asked and I gave Nick a look as he put his gun down on the table. 

"I'll get rid of him," he promised, kissing my forehead. 

"Can I interest either of you in a drink?" Jeremiah held up the bottle he was drinking from but Nick shook his head, "How about you. little lady?" 

"No thank you," I declined politely, "I'm gonna go sleep at your mom's place, okay?" 

"No, no," Nick stood up to block my way, "Tay, I promise. He'll be gone soon."

"Look at him, Nick," I hissed, seeing the man stumbling while attempting to stand up, "He's wasted." 

"I promise," he repeated firmly, "Okay?" 

"Okay," I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest as we both took a seat at the table. 

"What happened to your hand?" 

Jeremiah looked down at Nick's question, a smile pulling at his lips, "Oh, you know that song, can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with? Well, that goes the same with hitting people. I don't mind. The hand distracts from the headaches." 

"Well," Nick stood, "Listen, man, tomorrow's another day, a better day, 'cause you're gonna be too hungover to get into any fights." he hesitated, glancing at me out of the corner of his eye, "So why don't you just crash here?" 

I pursed my lips, looking from him to the older man before getting up from my seat as did Jeremiah. 

"This is a sacred spot you know," he began, nodding his head when he saw us looking at him, "Me and Vern and Russell and McCarthy, we sat here one night and conceived the movement. My life's work." he scoffed, "Now two are dead and one is dead to me." 

I let out a startled squeak when he suddenly flipped the table, pressing myself into the corner as the bottle went flying and Jeremiah turned away while Nick came to stand by me. 

"God damn it, man." 

The two of us looked at him when we heard a gun cocking and Nick stepped forward, "Jeremiah, no. No, no, no! Hey!" 

Nick pushed me further into the wall, his body shielding mine as three shots rang out and I pressed my hands against my ears. 

"What the hell are you doing, man?" he yelled, glaring at the older man, who looked completely ashamed of his actions. 

"I-I'm sorry," he said quietly, holding the gun out, "Your home. Your gun." 

Nick turned to me, his hands resting on my cheeks as he checked me over, despite the fact that the bullets hadn't come anywhere near me before he was sighing, his lips pressing against my forehead again, "I'm sorry." 

I looked over his shoulder, seeing that Jeremiah had made himself at home in our bed and gave him the best glare I could, leaning up to give him a kiss but as I pulled back, I made sure to tug on his bottom lip, "Next time, listen to me."