28.

The area where Strand was taking us was absolutely stunning. There were vineyards on either side of the dirt road as we drove up to the closed gates of an estate, which opened as we got closer.

Even Nick, who had been silent the whole journey seemed to perk up, pointing to the large house that was in the area.

"Welcome!" a voice called when the truck came to a stop.

A woman was emerging from the house, her brown curls blowing slightly in the cool breeze and she embraced Strand tightly, "Victor."

He spoke quietly to the woman and moments later, he took off towards the house, the woman turning her attention to us, "Welcome. My name is Celia. Please, excuse me for a moment. Elena, she'll take care of you."

"I'm Maddison. This is Travis and his son Chris. This is Alicia, my daughter and my son, Nick." Maddie began introducing us, "And his girlfriend Taylor."

As she was doing that, I saw a young brown haired boy with a soccer ball and I smiled at him.

Elena, who was dressing in a pristine white uniform smiled at us as Celia disappeared inside, "Welcome. Now, before I give you a tour of the house, I am going to need you to hand over your weapons."

Feeling safer than we had done in days, it seemed as if everyone had no problem in giving them to her.

"This place is beautiful," I commented as we walked into the entrance hall and the woman turned to look at me, "Thank you. We try our best." She then led us into the kitchen, "Dinner is at eight. Nothing between I'm afraid. We're trying to keep what we have for as long as we can."

The tour continued and we got shown bathrooms and bedrooms, where we each deposited our things and Nick couldn't help but smile at me when he noticed I had put my things down by his.

Alicia and I found ourselves in the main room with the t.v in it, the two of us covered with a thin blanket as we watched some old t.v programme that we had found in the recorded section.

Hey, I wasn't complaining and I was just waiting to use one of the showers but of course, there was a long as line.

I looked up as Chris came into the room, my eyes darting between him and Alicia as they stared at each other.

"What are you watching?" he asked and I licked my dry lips before scooting off the sofa.

This was going to get awkward and they were going to end up yelling at each other. I wasn't going to be a part of that.

Nope.

I found myself wandering into the yard, spotting Maddie sitting on one of the benches and I moved to sit beside her.

"Something on your mind?" she asked before I could even open my mouth, "Is it Nick?"

"I'm worried about him," I mumbled, messing with my necklace, "He's not the same. Ever since L.A. He's just..."

"I know," Maddie agreed, "But what can we do? This world is...it's as if he enjoys it. Being out there. Covered in blood."

"He does. I saw it back at that plane crash. And I know what he's getting at," I admitted, "I was covered in blood too, we were walking through them and they weren't even looking at us. It made me feel...untouchable, Maddie. And what's worse? I feel as if I liked it. Wha-"

"Taylor!"

I looked over at Ofelia, who was smiling, "Shower's free!"

"Great," I said, giving her my own smile and stood up, "I've been looking forward to this."