57.

wee note; i went back and edited the last chapter. it's not that much different so you don't really need to go back and read it again but just thought i'd let youse all know cause i wasn't very happy with it!

**

Miraculously, he had survived the night. Despite not knowing what it was that the Militia had been given, Jake and some volunteers had managed to keep Nick and a few others alive.

He was sleeping; his wrists bound to the bed with handcuffs, just a precaution and I was right there by his side, one hand holding his while the other pushed the damp hair from his forehead. 

All I needed was for him to wake up. 

My eyes met Madison's as she came into the tent, eager to find out the information that Ofelia had given her. 

"She did it," she nodded, confirming what Nick had thought last night, "Ofelia put something in the coffee." 

"Do you know what?" Jake asked, sighing when she shook her head. 

"I don't even think she knows. She said Walker told her to give it to them." 

"Bullshit," I muttered, standing up, "She knows what it is." I then looked at Jake, "Can you help him?" 

He glanced at the three of us and shook his head, "I can give him the antibiotics but without knowing the full extent of what we're dealing with, no." 

His voice faded out after that, my attention going back to Nick who was continuing to sweat profusely and before I knew it, I was reaching down into my boot for my knife and heading for the tent's exit. 

"Where are you going?" 

I looked at Alicia, "Give him the antibiotics. Keep him alive. I'm going to go talk to her and I'm not coming back here without an answer." 

Someone was following me as I crossed the ranch and just before I reached the building that she was being kept under watch in, Troy stepped in front of me. 

"Troy, move," I demanded but he held his hands up. 

"Wait," he said quietly, "I just need to know that you're going to be able to do this civilly. We need her alive." 

I scoffed and shoved by him, "I'm not you, Troy."

Well, I'm not normally a violent person but today, today was the day that it could all change. 

Ofelia looked up when I threw the door open, her eyes widening when she saw the anger that was evidently in mine and she stood up, stuttering and stumbling over her feet as I approached her, "Taylor..." 

Before she could get another word out, I had her by the shoulders and was shoving her back until she hit the closest wall and I was satisfied when she winced. 

Good. 

"What did you do?" I asked, bringing my knife up to rest on her neck, "What did you put in the coffee?" 

"I don't know!" she yelled, "Taylor, I swear!" 

"Why would you do this?" I tried again, pressing down slightly, "After everything we've done for you and your parents!"

"Taylor," Troy said softly, placing his hands on my shoulders as he tried to pull me away, "Taylor, come on. We need her alive." 

"If he dies," I hissed, pressing down a little firmer, "I swear to god, I will kill you." 

"Taylor." Troy said again, "Let's go." 

I gave Ofelia one last scathing glare before letting him lead me back outside, passing Maddie and she said that she had an idea. 

My hands were shaking as I started making my way back across to the medical tent, my breathing laboring until I had to stop, pressing my back against the closest tree as the tears I had managed to keep at bay, finally broke through. 

The thought of Nick dying was just too much. 

"Taylor?" Maddie's worried voice came from behind me, she must have followed me, "Taylor, are you okay?" 

"He can't die," I choked, turning to look at her, "Maddie, I can't lose him." 

"You're not going to," she said firmly, "We're not going to." 

"We don't even know what it is they've been given," I whispered, wiping my tears. 

"That's why I'm taking her back to Walker. He'll tell me." 

"How can you be sure?" I asked. 

"Trust me," she said, "Tell Alicia I'll be back, okay? Stay with Nick. He'll want to be sure that you're safe when he wakes." 

**

I took some time after she left to compose myself before I was going back to the tent and I stopped in the doorway to see that Nick was now awake and was arguing weakly with his sister. 

"Alicia, will you just go and find her? Please!" 

"Relax," she hissed, "She's right there." 

I pushed my way past Jeremiah and Jake and Nick gave me a weak smile when I reached his side. 

"Thank god," I whispered, leaning down to press a kiss to his warm forehead, "You're okay." 

He gave me a weak nod, "Can't get rid of me that easy, Nelson."

I let out a relieved giggle and kissed him softly, raising my left hand where the ring he had placed on it still sat, "It's Clark now, remember?" 

He gave me a dazzling smile, "So it is." 

Alicia was watching us with her own smile on her face and she moved to stand on Nick's other side, "Gave us quite a scare." 

"It's kind of like old times, huh?" Nick joked and both me and his sister shared glances as their mom returned. 

"It's anthrax," she announced and everyone fell quiet. 

Jesus.

"Did Ofelia tell you?" Jake asked. 

"No. Walker did. I returned her to Black Hat. Those who don't die will be too weak to hold a gun. They'll attack when we're down." 

I ignored them as they talked, just keeping my attention on mine and Nick's linked hands, only looking up when Jake stormed from the tent. 

"You're always the life of the party, mom." Nick teased as she came to stand beside us. 

"How're you feeling?" 

"Like I got hit by a truck," he whispered, closing his eyes again. 

Maddie looked at me, reaching across to give my hand a squeeze, "You should get some sleep now too." 

"What? No, I'm fine." 

"Taylor," she said firmly, "Go back home and get some rest. I'll stay with him." 

Looking down at Nick once more and seeing that he was fast asleep, I reluctantly nodded, "Okay. But you'll come and get me if anything happens, right?"

"You have my word." 

I bent down and pressed one last kiss to his forehead before leaving the tent again. 

Sleep did sound good right now.