08.

for those wondering, i am going to be updating my daryl story soon. i've just been really excited to get this one kicked off. i know it's slow but i hope you're enjoying it!

**

When I managed to tear my eyes away from the three aircraft, I saw that Ms C had turned to go left instead of right.

"Maddison, what on...oh no." my mom trailed off and I gripped the handle on the door when she made a sharp left too.

"Mom?" I asked but then I spotted Patrick Tran walking up to his front door.

Maddie had already left the car to go after and warn him so my mom followed suit, leaping out of the car before it even came to a stop.

I got out more slowly, I had to see the 'infected' in the daylight. I had only encountered them at night and I wanted to be able to tell the difference between people who were alive and people who were not.

"Where do you think you're going?" Nick asked as he took a step in front of me, "Hmm?"

"I'm going to...I need to see what we're up against." I murmured, giving him a soft smile.

He sighed, hands resting on my shoulders before nodding, turning me around, "Let's go then." He stayed close to me as we made our way up the Tran's driveway, his hand on the bottom of my back.

As we approached the corner, we heard Maddie telling Patrick not to go near her, that Susan was not the Susan that he knew. Coming into our view, I saw that the man was attempting to hug her.

Susan's skin was discoloured, a greyish tinge to it and her eyes, from what I could see were white and she was doing the stupid growling thing that they all seemed to do.

Alicia, who I didn't realise had followed us along with everyone else, screamed when a bullet travelled through Susan's head whereas I stepped back into Nick's chest.

"Hey," he whispered, hand resting on my shoulder, "It's okay."

I moved to the side as a bunch of army men came out of seemingly nowhere, yelling for Maddie to get back from the couple while a couple more started leading us back.

"What are you doing?" Travis asked, "What about my girlfriend?"

"We'll get her sir, just bear with us."

Minutes later, Maddie came back around the corner, a dazed look on her face, "We've to go back to the house."

"Hey!" I snapped when one of the men grabbed my arm, "Don't touch me. I can walk there myself."

They basically marched the large group of us back to Maddie's house, making sure that we were all inside, telling us to stay put before slamming the door shut behind them as they left.

**

Obviously, we were all taken away individually so the authorities could run their tests to make sure we weren't sick.

After getting my blood taken, I came back to the house rubbing my arm and I slammed the door behind me.

"Did they ask questions?" Alicia asked nervously, "Did they take blood?"

I nodded, "Yeah. Both. They asked if I had come in contact with the infected, which I have. I told them the truth."

"And what did they say?"

"That they'd keep an eye on me since they don't know if it spreads any other way." I mumbled, turning around when the door opened behind me.

"You know, they're out there putting up a fence." Nick said as he came in. I must have just missed slamming the door in his face.

"It's to keep us safe, Nick." Maddie sighed, "They'll get rid of the disease and then everything will go back to normal. It's time to take your pill."

He followed after her eagerly, leaving me and Travis' son in silence.

"I don't think we've met," I began, "I'm Taylo-"

"I know who you are," he muttered, standing up, "You're Nick's...whatever. You don't need to try and be friends with me."

Woah. Someone has a bad attitude. "Okay then," I trailed off, gesturing to the front door with my thumb, "I'm just gonna...yeah. Nice talking to you."

I quickly made my way outside. Everyone was done being tested as a few of the people from the testing area were packing up to leave. People were now crowding around one of the army trucks, where a man was standing waiting patiently.

"Now we don't know how long it'll take for the test results to come back so for now, we're assuming that everyone here is clear." he began and I felt someone's chest press against my back.

It was Nick and he didn't look at me as the Sergeant kept talking, "Now the main issue is power. As to not override the grid, we're allocating fifteen minutes every day. Boxes of food and bottles of water will be given weekly."

Shouts of protests soon filled the air but the man ignored them and jumped off the back of the truck, "First boxes of rations should be here soon. One box per family."

I tuned out the rest of his speech, turning my attention to Nick, "Where have you been? You disappeared as soon as you got your blood taken."

He cleared his throat awkwardly and looked anywhere but me, "I went around the neighbours. Made sure everyone was okay."

I was skeptical to if that was the truth but I chose to believe him and I looked up at the sound of an airplane flying overhead.

"Oh my god," I breathed as it got lower and lower, turning into a nosedive just as it disappeared behind the hills.

"Looks like it isn't just on the ground anymore." Nick mumbled, taking my hand as a truck came into the compound, stopping just in front of the Sergeant, "Come on, we'll pick up our boxes."

I nodded, taking another look at the hills where the aircraft disappeared before following after him.