24.

Reed had taken Travis to the wheelhouse so he could try and start the boat manually. Alicia was still gone with Jack so  the rest of us, we were under the watchful eye of Vida, who looked as if she wanted to be anywhere but. 

"You really don't know where he's gone?" Maddie asked quietly while the woman was looking around at all of the expensive things that were on the walls. 

"No," I replied, "But he should be back soon. He's been gone since before dawn." 

Daniel grabs our attention and we can see that he's managed to loosen the ropes on his wrists. All we have to do is distract Vida.

"So your baby," Maddie begins, making the woman turn, "Do you know what you're having?" 

"I don't see how it's your business, but a girl." she replies. 

"I remember when I found out Alicia was going to be a girl." Maddie smiled, "We were so happy. We already had Nick, who was, let's face it, a bit of a handful. Alicia was a welcome relief. Especially since we lost our other daughter." If she felt my gaze on her, she didn't let me know and continued to talk to Vida, "Have you felt her move?"

The woman's face loses some of it's colour and she stutters out a no.

"It's scary, right? Are you scared that your baby might be dead inside you?" 

I stared at her with an open mouth, horrified that she was even saying these things.

Vida immediately became defensive and snapped at her to shut up and for none of us to speak anymore. It was clear that what Maddie had said to her had left her a little rattled. 

"Either you shut up, or I'll make you." she hissed, pressing a gun against Maddie's forehead but quickly removes it when Reed returns with Travis and as the two of them talk, Daniel and I see Travis tuck a crowbar behind a cushion on the sofa, giving the two of us a nod. 

"Maddie, stop." I whispered and she looked at me from the corner of my eye, "Please." 

"Yeah," the young woman agrees, "Stop." Her eyes then focused on the necklace that Nick gave me, a smirk crossing her face before she yanked if off. 

"Hey-!"

She silenced me by moving the gun to my forehead and she shrugged, "What are you going to do?" 

Vida then walked away into the next part of the boat, her hands picking up the glass of alcohol that she had poured some time ago and it looked as if she was contemplating taking a drink. 

"Are you close?" I whisper to Daniel, watching as he shook his head.

"No. A little more time." 

Maddie sighed and looked over Chris' head to the young woman, "One drink won't hurt her." 

"I just like the smell." 

Looking out of the window, Maddie smiled, "Yeah? Lucky for you." 

My heart started beating wildly when the sound of an approaching boat could be heard and then, the floor underneath me began vibrating, showing that the Abigail was now operational. 

Vida moved to the open door and smirked, "Your man's got good timing. Connor's here." 

Chris caught my eye, "Who's Connor?" 

I shrugged. 

We all watched as a bearded man, followed by another man and woman came inside, the man in front looking around appreciatively, "This is a gorgeous vessel." he peered at the wound on Maddison's head, "What happened?" 

"She hit her head." Vida muttered.

"You couldn't clean her up? Jesus guys." 

I turned when Reed came back down the stairs dragging Travis with him and a smile appeared on his face when he saw the man, "This is the one who started the boat." 

"Travis," the man smiled, and I came to the realisation that this, this must be Connor. "You and Alicia, you come with us." 

"What about our family?" 

Connor shook his head, "We only need the two of you." 

Everyone started talking at once, most of us wanting to know what was going to happen and where they were taking the two of them but we didn't get any answers. 

"You'll get them a boat, right?" Alicia asked desperately, looking at Jack, who nodded and looked at Connor. 

"Yeah, they'll get them to shore." 

The older man looked at them then down at Chris and I, "That sounds fair." 

"Wait, no! Travis!"

"Dad!" 

I kept my eyes on Daniel, who was really close to getting free. 

"Put us on the launch," Maddie said weakly, "And we'll go to shore. You can take the Abigail." 

The two of them got into a conversation while a guy standing at the door, looked out onto the water and when I listened carefully, I could hear another motor approaching. 

Nick. I couldn't even warn him. 

"Has Connor come back?" Reed asked tensely. 

"Zodiac," the redheaded woman said, "Looks like t-" 

Maddie moved out of the way when the woman was shot through the head and fell to the floor, the man followed seconds later. 

"Oh my god," I breathed and instinctively ducked down lower onto the floor watching as Daniel finally got free, Ofelia shoved Reed into the door and Maddie stood up and stabbed him through the stomach with the crowbar. 

"Are you okay?" I hear Maddie ask and I nod, getting up from the floor. 

"Who shot them?" 

Maddie made her way outside with a gun raised while I move to untie Ofelia. 

"Mom, what happened?" Nick says and I let out a breath of relief and lean against the wall.

He was back. 

"They took them," Maddie said weakly, looking out onto the water. 

"What?" Nick says again, "Took-took who?" He turns and meets my eyes and relief fills his as he makes his way towards me. 

I give him a weak smile when he reaches me, his hand resting on my cheek as he runs his thumb across my bottom lip, "Who did this to you?"

"It was the boy, Jack." Daniel told him. 

"Jack?" Nick repeats, looking down at me again, "Who's Jack?" 

"The guy Alicia's been speaking to over," I mumbled, "On the radio. He must be with a group of Pirates. They've got Alicia and Travis." 

A flash of anger crosses Nick's eyes and he turns to look at Maddie, who's still standing out on the deck, "Where did they take them? We gotta go after them. Where's Strand?" 

"He tried to abandon us," Daniel spoke again, "They shot him."

"Shot at him," I corrected, "They could easily have missed." 

"That's why I'm going to look for him."