26.

Why does it always seem like we're cleaning up? It's either ourselves or our surroundings. Something's always covered in blood."

"We should just be thankful that it's not our blood." Ofelia said in reply.

She had a point.

Nick stared at me while I pushed some hair from my face and watched me as I spoke. "But he," I pointed at Reed's body, "Was our ticket to getting Alicia back. Getting Travis back."

"I know," Ofelia muttered but I didn't look away from Reed's body.

His fingers had just moved.

"Damn it," I whispered, "Guys, he's reanimating."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." I said.

All of a sudden, Reed stood up growling and lunged for Ofelia but I pushed her out of the way.

"Taylor," Nick snapped as Daniel bounded into the room and I winced when he jammed the crowbar into his stomach again and then pushed him backwards into the wall.

"Oh my god," Ofelia whispered, "Oh my god."

"What...?" I whispered, looking at Reed's now snarling face, "What are we going to do now?" 

"He wants his man back," Daniel muttered, looking at both me and Nick, "We're going to give him what he wants. Go get your mother." 

I toyed with my hands, following after him as we looked for Maddie, finding her on the deck, "Mom?" 

She turned around, "Yeah?" 

"Daniel has an idea." 

**

The sun was high in the sky as Nick and I held the zodiac still so Maddie could climb into it. 

"Mom," Nick begged, "Please. Are you sure you don't want me to go?" 

"No," she said firmly, "I have to do this. Just keep watch so if I need you, you'll know." 

"Here," I whispered, handing her the pistol that Dave had given me back at the compound, "In case you need it." 

"Thank you." she nodded and I stepped back so Daniel could get Reed...infected Reed into the boat too.

"Careful," Nick mumbled, "Watch his mouth." 

Daniel held him still as I leant over and put a sack over the head, watching as Maddie pushed the infected down onto the seat opposite her. 

The three of us watched as she took off towards land and I took Nick's hand, making him look down at me, "Your mom will be fine. She's tough and I know that she'll bring Alicia and Travis back." 

He smiled and lean down, resting his forehead against mine, "I know but I can't help but be worried." 

"Come on," I whispered, "We'll go up to the top deck and watch." 

Nick took a seat on the captain's chair and grabbed the binoculars that were on the table, making me smile and looking around, I spotted a hat and placed it on his head. 

"Handsome," I whispered, kissing his cheek, "Very handsome." 

"You think?" he asked, looking at me with a smile and I nodded.

"Yeah. It's a shame we have to share a room." 

He groaned and placed the binoculars in his lap, "You're such a tease, Nelson."

"You love it, Clark." 

He pressed a light kiss to my lips, looking over my shoulder when Daniel cleared his throat. 

"You see anything?" 

"No." 

The older man quickly took over watching for trouble while Nick and I sat quietly. 

All we could do was wait.

**

When it was all over and Alicia and Travis were back. I wasted no time in pulling the teenager into my arms for a hug, "Thank god. Did they hurt you?" 

"No," she said quietly and I could tell that something was bothering her. 

"Are they all dead?" Nick asked, kissing her forehead. 

"No," Alicia whispered, hugging her brother tightly, "Jack's still on the ship. Vida too. I couldn't kill her." 

My hand went to my lip, where I could feel the dry blood and I felt Nick's eyes on me, "Did she do that to you?" 

"I'm fine." I whispered, turning to Luis who was watching us, "Where are we going to go now?" 

"We're going to this place, the Baja house. Luis' knows the people who work there." Nick said quietly, "It's safe. Secluded." 

"I only have the money for two." Luis protested, "Me and Strand. I can-"

"You will take us over. Tomorrow morning." Maddie said firmly, "All of us." 

**

Night feel really quickly and I was reading on the bed while Nick was in the shower and Alicia was just laying on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. 

"Hey," I whispered, putting the book down, which grabbed her attention, "Are you okay?" 

"He asked me to stay." she said, moving to sit on the bottom of my bed, "He...he asked me if I wanted to stay with the kind of people who abandon survivors, like that girl, Alex." 

"That wasn't us," I murmured, "That was Strand. W-"

"I know," she whispered, "I know. But the worst thing is, I considered staying. He was right. Are we going to do that to every survivor we come across? Just leave them to die?" 

"No," I shook my head, sitting up, "We're not those kind of people, okay? Strand...Strand is just a dick." 

She let out a quiet laugh, looking towards the closed bathroom door as we heard the shower turn off, "Don't...please don't tell Nick about this. I don't want him to worry about Jack coming after us."

"What?" I asked as she made for the door, just as her brother emerged from the bathroom, "Alicia!" 

She thinks he's gonna come after us? 

If Nick had heard us, then he didn't say anything and I gave him a smile when he finally turned his gaze upon me, "Hi." 

"I was thinking," he said quietly, falling down onto the bed beside me, "When we get to this place. We'll have more privacy. Hell, we can even get our own room." 

Giggling, I kissed him, "Like your mom is going to let us do that." 

"Hey," he mumbled, "Babe, we're grown ups. We can do what we want!"

"Says the guy who can't even do his own laundry." 

"Hey!" 

**

sooooooooo long overdue. its not a good chapter but i just want to try and get back into writing this story. im excited to do so and hopefully, you guys will continue to support it!