17.

"What the hell?" Maddie stuttered, stepping back into me as a large, overturned boat emerged from the mist.

The underside, I noticed, was covered in bulletholes and all sorts and while I gaped at it, Maddie turned her attention to Chris and Nick, who were both swimming in the water, "Chris, Nick! Get out of there, now!"

I stepped forward when Nick suddenly disappeared from our sights, seemingly having been pulled under the water.

Travis took the Zodiac boat out, heading towards Chris while Maddie, Alicia and I waited with baited breath for Nick to resurface.

"Come on, Nick," I whispered, willing myself not to cry. I couldn't lose him too. Not now.

"Travis, do you see him?" Maddie yelled as Strand came running down the steps.

"We've got company."

"What? Who?" I gaped, scanning the surrounding areas.

"It could be no one, or it could be the ones who did that." Strand said, pointing to the wreck behind us, "We need to get a head start on them. It's coming in at twenty five knots. Faster than we can go."

I turned back to the scene in the water, letting out a relieved breath when I saw Travis returning in the Zodiac with Nick safely on board.

He gave me a smile as I approached but that soon slipped from his face when he saw the scowl that was on my face.

"Oh shit," he whispered.

"Oh shit?" I repeated, "Oh shit is right. What the hell was that? You said you weren't going to pull shit like that again and not even two hours later, you're doing said shit!"

"Taylor's right," Maddie said, appearing behind me, "That was so stupid."

"I thought I heard someone." Nick said in defense, holding up his hands and it was then that I noticed the book he was grasping, "What's that?"

"Oh," he handed it to his mom, "It's the boat's logbook. Maybe it'll tell us where it's coming from and if it's safe."

Maddie snatched it from him, "This doesn't change anything. Go get dried off."

"I thought I was angry," I whispered as she stormed up the steps, most likely going to find Strand, "But you definitely pissed Momma Bear off more."

"Shut up."

**

Since whatever had wrecked that other boat was probably bigger than us, Strand said that the best thing we could do for now, was to find a cove to hide in. Which brought us to Catrina Island. Actually, a light brought us here.

Sure it was the middle of the night, but that didn't stop the majority of people on the boat hopping off onto the dock to go investigate.

"Are we sure we should be doing this?" I mumbled, taking a flashlight from Chris, "I mean, coming onto someone else's land? They might have guns. We only have one. And it's back on the boat. With Daniel because it seems as if he's the only one who can use it."

"You're rambling," Nick teased, taking my hand, "But they turned the light on twice. They obviously wanted us to come here."

I pursed my lips but let him lead me up the wooden steps, looking over my shoulder at the boat, where I could just see Ofelia and Daniel standing on the deck.

Maybe I should have stayed with them.

The house where the light came from was cute. Definitely cute but since we had no idea what could be lurking behind the door, that was making me rather nervous.

"Hello?" Travis yelled.

What the hell was he doing?

"Travis!" Maddie hissed.

He ignored her, "We're not here to hurt you."

Chris rolled his eyes at his father's words but looked at the door when it clicked open.

My heart practically melted when a cute little blonde boy pulled it open.

Surely he wasn't here alone.

My question was answered when an older man rushed after the boy, pulling him back into the doorway.

"What have I told you about opening the door to people you don't know?" he scolded, looking up at us as he adjusted his glasses, "I'm sorry about that. We don't get many visitors nowadays."

I looked down when the boy, along with a little girl, peeked around the edge of the door, giving them a wave along with a soft smile, which made the two of them giggle quietly.

Babies and children were my weak spots. I definitely had a soft spot for the two of them.

"I'm Travis and this is my family. We're really sorry for bothering you," Travis began, "We just...we ran into some trouble out on the water. We wanted to know if we could dock for the night."

The man, he looked wary (who wouldn't) but the woman who was inside too stepped forward and began whispering in his ear.

Nick dropped my hand, only to take off his jacket and drape it over my shoulders.

"You're cold," he shrugged at my confused expression, "I could see the goosebumps on your arms."

He could? I didn't even notice but I gave him a grateful smile, pushing my arms through the sleeves before shoving my hands into the pockets.

Huh, maybe this jacket wasn't so bad after all.

"You're welcome to stay," the man said, holding out his hand, "I'm George Geary. This is my wife Melissa and our children Harry and Willa. Our oldest son, Seth, he's out at the moment. Please, do come in."

Inside the house, it was cozy and the children both ran into a room with numerous couches, toys and such littered across the floor.

"Please, have a seat." Melissa smiled, moving a bunch of stuff from one of the couches.

"Guys, we'll be back in a few," Travis began as he followed George out of the room, "Stay here."

I took a seat next to Alicia, watching as Nick slowly made his way towards the little boy, crouching down beside him and picking up one of the toys while Maddie, she disappeared into the kitchen with Melissa.