Chapter 13: breakfast

Karl POV.

I woke up warm, snuggled into some blankets while laying face down on the pillow. For a while I just laid there, trying to go back to sleep but that didn’t work so I sat up. It took me a few minutes to realise where I was and when I did I let out a whine.

The room was dark and so I stood up and walked over to the window before pulling the curtains open and sending sunlight pouring into the room. When that was done I walked over to the closet to change.

I grabbed a white shirt, another hoodie, and some black jeans and pulled them on before heading over to the door. Overnight I kind of came to terms with what was happening, and had convinced myself to keep calm about it.

When I opened the door once again I was met with a tray sitting on the floor covered with a cloth. After sending a glance around I picked it up and walked back into the room, placing the tray at the desk in the same spot as yesterday.

When I pulled the cloth off there was a plate of warm pancakes along with some berries and maple syrup, and a cup of coffee. There was another note which I grabbed to read before doing anything else.

Good morning Karl.

Today we both have to work so don’t be surprised if you don’t see us this morning. Our friend Dream said that there are cameras in your room which won’t be activated until this afternoon, so you can eat your breakfast in there but you must come out for lunch.

We also have something for you that we’ll give you this evening. We have someone coming around to make sure you are alright later, so we’ll see you then.

- Nick and Alex.

I smiled as I read the note before sitting it to the side. Then I grabbed the knife and fork sitting on either side of the plate of pancakes and began eating them. Along with that I sipped the coffee as I watched birds chirping excitedly at each other outside the window. I wish I could be with them right now, free, with no walls trapping them in an unfamiliar place.

For a while I ate, while thinking for even longer about what was happening. When my plate was clear I headed into the bathroom to shower again, seeing as I didn’t have much better to do at the moment.

When I had dried myself off and walked out of the bathroom I changed back into the clothes I had been wearing before, the white shirt, the black pants, and the hoodie. For a while I just stared at myself in the mirror.

Since I had become a vampire my appearance had gotten a lot worse. My hair now got tangled more easily and was incredibly greasy when it used to be fluffy and shiny. My skin changed from it’s pale colour to a more grey colour. And my eyes, which once shone with wonder, were dull with bags around them from what I say is lack of sleep, even though I know it’s lack of blood.

When I was done I sighed and took the tray out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. Even though I didn’t need to, I cleaned the plates and dried them, before finding where I needed to put them. I glanced at the clock and it was 10am, and I’d been up for an hour. So I sighed before heading back to my room and curling up on my bed to try and go back to sleep.

Quackity POV.

I woke up at around 7am, and we had to leave to get to work at 9. I wanted to try and sleep again but didn’t bother since Nick usually woke me up by 7:30 if I wasn’t up already. So I climbed out of the bed and ran my fingers through my hair before walking out into the hallway.

There was a nice smell coming from the kitchen and I saw Sapnap in there without a shirt. I headed over to him. “Typically I like to eat in the kitchen, but I think I’d be vomiting if I saw you half naked in here.” I commented, causing him to look over his shoulder and grin at me.

“Don’t act as though you don’t love to see me half naked Quackity. We both know how fruity you are.” he retorted teasingly before turning back to what he was cooking and flipping it.
“Cool, are you making pancakes?” I asked, seeing a stack of the food sitting on a plate on one side of the pan, and a bowl of batter on the other side.

“Yeah. I’ve been up all morning perfecting them.” he stated.
I grabbed one of the pancakes and took a large bite before immediately spitting it back out onto the counter. “That is disgusting,” I stated. “Doesn’t taste like a pancake at all. Did you even try to learn?” I asked him.

“Yes I did. And the reason they taste like that is because they are vegan. I decided to try and make them for Karl. But they still shouldn’t taste that bad.”
He grabbed another pancake from the pile and took a bite, giving no reaction. “It’s fine you absolute fucking child.” he stated.

I rolled my eyes. “Maybe it’s just the fact that all of your cooking sucks, which is why I always talk you into getting take out. But if you are making you vegan pancakes I will make myself some normal, tasty ones.” I said as I grabbed some ingredients out of the fridge.

For a while there was silence between us. “Is Karl awake?” I asked after a while, and he shook his head.
“He wasn’t the last time I checked.” my partner responded. “Just knocked on the door after I woke up to offer him a coffee and he was sleeping in the same position.”

“Why do you never offer me coffee?” I asked, sending him an offended look.
“Because I don’t like you.” He responded, before pouring the final bit of batter into his pan and dumping the mixing bowl in the sink.

For a few moments he just watched the pan, staring at it while deep in thought. I could always tell when he was in thought, eventually I walked over to him and tapped him on the shoulder. “As much as I hate your cooking, burnt food is a waste.” I stated, and he looked down at the pan before muttering a swear word.

He took his time scraping the burnt pancake off of the pan and into the bin before placing the pan in the sink alongside the other stuff he used. “What were you thinking about?” I couldn’t help but ask, and he glanced at me with worry in his eyes.

“I was thinking about Karl. Last night George finished analysing his blood and Clay texted me the results. Apparently Karl only has a couple of weeks left to live if he doesn’t drink blood soon.” I listened as he explained.

My eyes widened. “So what do we do?” I questioned.
He shrugged. “Karl is nice. He doesn’t deserve to die. But unless we can convince him to drink some blood I doubt we could do much.”

“Do you think that Karl knows?” I asked, and once again Sapnap shrugged.
“I wouldn’t know. But he does like to read so maybe he did some research on it.”
I stopped mixing the batter of pancakes I was making. “Do you think we could convince him to drink some blood?”

My partner just sighed. “I don’t know.”
_________________________________________
1295 words