Chapter 15: shopping

Sapnap POV.

"Are you sure we have time to do this?" Alex asked. "We got told we had an hour to go get the books and then get back to the Citadel. Are you sure we have time to go buy stuff here now and get back before Dream tells us off for slacking off."

I smiled. "We'll be fine. This will only take 5 minutes." I said as I pulled into the car park.
"What about traffic?" Quackity asked.
"We'll be fine." I responded while hopping out of the driver's seat and walking to the jewelry store we were parked in front of. "And it will be easier than coming back here after work."

We walked into the shop and looked around at all of the cabinets and displays of bracelets, rings, necklaces, and more. "So what do we need again?" he asked.
"Well we need to get something silver that Karl has to wear at all times so I was thinking it could at least be something that looks nice."

Alex nodded as I looked at some displays. "Should we get him a necklace?" I asked while looking at a display of some silver and gold necklaces.
"That is something you'd get a girlfriend... or boyfriend." my partner mumbled from behind me.

"Fine then." I huffed. "Just thought he'd look good in it."
The next display had a variety of rings. Made of different metals and each having some gems or precious stones decorating them. "What about one of these?"
Quackity scoffed, "that is something you'd get a fiance, wife or husband. Buy him a drink first."

I sighed before moving onto the next displays, looking over them. Alex walked around as well and we looked over everything from bracelets to earrings. "You buying all of these makes me think you wanna ask Karl on a date." My partner hummed teasingly.

"No. I don't want to date him. I haven't even known him for a week." I responded.
"Then stop thinking of it as a big gift that will make him look better." Quackity instructed. "Didn't the Citadel just say he had to have something silver on him at all times?"

I hummed a yes at him. "Then what about you get him that?" My short partner motioned at a watch in a display. When I raised an eyebrow at him he smiled. "What? It is made of silver like they said, and it will be useful. Plus it doesn't look too bad."
"Fine." I looked around to see one of the employees and motioned her over.

"Hello." She greeted us both with a smile. "How can I help you two today? Did you guys see something you like?"
"Yes." I responded, before motioning to the watch. "Is that made out of silver?" I asked, looking between her and the display case.

"Yes sir." she responded. "It is a rolex and was made in Switzerland and we have about 8 left in stock if you want one."
Quackity and I exchanged a glance before turning back to her and I nodded. "We will take that thank you."

She nodded. "I will get you one from the back." Then she spun on her heel and headed behind the counter and into a back room. Quackity and I stood there for a while in the empty store glancing at the watch in the display case. 20 minutes until we have to be back at the Citadel. We should be fine.

The woman came out a minute later with a blue box in her hand. The company logo was on one side of the box and she placed it on the counter. "That will be 1,900 dollars." She said as she pulled the watch from the box and quickly put a battery in it, making it look as easy as screwing in a screw.

I pulled out my work card and brought the watch, as she closed the box it was in back up and put it in a light blue bag before handing it to me. Then I put it back beside my work card as I took the bag and left with Quackity.

Yes we had 2 cards, Quackity and I had a shared work card which was for our cars, food, some furniture, ammo for our weapons, etc. Our personal card is where our weekly pay goes, Quackity had been using that to buy Karl his food, since we weren't meant to be buying him food in the first place.

The 2 of us stayed in our car for a few minutes as we tried to find a way in between the slow moving traffic but eventually managed to. We drove through the streets slowly while Alex grumbled about how we were going to be late back and how Dream would have us do paperwork.

"Calm down, we both know you just don't want to look after the kids going through training." I responded. "Just text Dream and say we'll be late because of the traffic."
"No. He will listen if it is you but not me." My partner responded. "Let me call him on your phone."

I passed him my work phone and he began typing out a text to Clay. "Make sure it is appropriate," I growled at him, remembering the last time he used my phone.
While he did that in the slow moving traffic I looked out of the car window and into the windows of other shops.

They drifted over the displays in the windows of shops. Some of them had set ups of an ideal bedroom, or some mannequins covered in dresses, or some new expensive toys. Finally they drifted over the window in the front of a cafe.

Inside was someone who looked familiar, and after inching the car forward slightly to move with the traffic I looked back in the direction of the cafe. From this angle I could see his face better and immediately recognised the brunette.

I stepped out of the car while it sat still in the road, without saying a word to my partner. "Where are you going?" Quackity asked as one of the cars behind ours started honking their horn angrily when we didn't move forward. When I didn't even glance at him he ran over to the car behind them and gave an explanation.

My hand drifted to my pocket where I grabbed a police badge. All people working for the Citadel carried a badge for the Orlando Police department so that we could work our way around certain stuff if necessary.

I walked over to where Karl was sitting and tapped him on his shoulder. He glanced over it at me and almost yelped. I wanted to ask him if he was insane, if he knew what would happen to him and me if the Citadel Council figured out he ran off, but I didn't.

"Karl. We need to go." I said to him, and he looked up at me worriedly without saying anything. Other people around the cafe slowly started glancing in our direction to watch us.
"No. Please let me stay here." the brunette begged, looking at me pleadingly.

"Look we can do this the easy way where you walk out with dignity or I pull out the police badge in my pocket and claim that you are being arrested for murder. It's your choice." I stated in a low tone.

"Fine. I'm coming." Karl huffed.
_________________________________________
1246 words.