Chapter 28: offering blood

Alex POV.

“He needs to have some blood and quick.” The brunette responded solemnly, looking from me to Nick. “I had thought we’d have over a month before we needed to deal with this but Karl probably only has a week or less to live. I’m sorry.”

“So how can we help him? He doesn’t want to drink blood, but we don’t want him to die.” I found myself saying. George let out a sigh which didn’t fill me or the ravenette with any hope.
“Well if you don’t want to force him then you will have to talk him into drinking some blood. But if he is too weak then animal blood probably won’t help.” The scientist stated.

“Are you saying that he needs human blood?” Nick asked, and George simply nodded in confirmation. Both me and my partner sighed collectively and the blond wrapped his arm around his boyfriend, noting his sad expression.

The 4 of us just stood there for a few minutes in awkward silence, none of us knew what to say to try and make the tense silence somewhat less tense. Eventually we all just gave up and Clay took George’s hand in his and they walked out of the house.

Both Nick and I just stood there for a few more minutes without knowing what to do. Well, we knew what we had to do, we just didn’t know how we were going to do it. “So… Karl needs to drink human blood.” The ravenette stated, repeating what George had told us.

I nodded. “The question is whose blood should he drink? Cause we won’t be allowed to go get some from the blood bank without the Citadel finding out.”
Sapnap shrugged his shoulders. “If he has to. Karl can drink my blood. I feel that it is my fault that he’s here. So I will let him take my blood.”

His breathing was shaky, uncertain, but I didn’t want to step in and so I didn’t. “We’ll take Karl into my room.” I said quietly, “since there are no cameras in there.”
Nick just nodded, and so we began walking towards Karl’s room.

When we reached the bedroom we saw Karl curled up asleep under the covers. His face still looked tense, he was clearly still in pain. Both Nick and I sent him a pitying glance, hating the fact that the vampire had to go through this.

“We should wait until he wakes up.” Nick stated, in a tone louder than a whisper but not loud enough for him to hear. “There isn’t much we can do to help him right now.”
Almost on cue the brunette groaned, and sat up.

Karl sat up and looked around, his eyes met ours before he laid down again and clutched his stomach. Once again Nick and I exchanged a look before I walked over to him and lifted him up bridal style. The brunette rested his head on my chest but I could tell he was watching me from the corner of his eyes.

“What are you doing Alex? Where are we going?” The vampire murmured the questions, looking up at me warily with his dull grey eyes.
“Just going to my room. Okay Karl?” I didn’t look down at him as I laid him on my bed.

Immediately Karl sat up and looked around the room. Nick and I were standing by the door when he looked back at us. “Why am I in here?” He asked.
“Because we couldn’t do anything with the camera’s in your room.” I stated.

“Dude that sounds like we’re gonna fuck him.” The ravenette pointed out, and Karl’s expression made it clear that he thought the exact same thing.
“Look Karl. You know about the fact that you need blood right?” I asked in a quiet tone, as though if I spoke any louder I’d hurt him.

The brunette nodded. “I know.” He stated, while still shuffling around on my bed, further away from Sapnap and me.
“Well you need to drink some blood Karl.” I stated, hating the way he quickly tensed up when I said it.

“No. No I can’t.” He stammered, shaking his head quickly. “I won’t be able to control myself. If I do, someone will get hurt.” The brunette was beginning to freak out.
“Karl please.” Nick stated, “we don’t want you to end up dead. Please.”

There was a moment of hesitation from the vampire and I moved over to sit beside him, while Nick did the same from the other side. Karl began leaning on the ravenette who ran his fingers through Karl’s hair, not that the vampire seemed to mind. Instead the brunette leaned into his touch weakly as he cried.

Karl POV

“Well you need to drink some blood Karl.” Alex stated, watching me silently from where he was standing and I tensed up as the words left his mouth.
I couldn’t drink blood, someone would end up hurt. “No. No I can’t.” I told them “I won’t be able to control myself. If I do, someone will get hurt.”

“Karl please.” Nick stated, “we don’t want you to end up dead. Please.”
It made me tense up more and when I looked up both of the vampire hunters were sitting on either side of me. I sniffled slightly as I leaned onto the ravenette.

“I’m sorry. I just can’t.” I muttered after they held me for a while, feeling guilty that I didn’t agree to drink blood like they wanted me to. Both of them apologized back at me for making me uncomfortable, but they seemed to have figured that I would say that but still seemed disappointed, and that made me feel extremely bad, even though I shouldn’t feel bad. Right?

For a while we all just sat in silence while still on Alex’s bed. All of us were thinking, seemingly all thinking about the same thing too. They both cared for me, I could tell that. And they wouldn’t want me to die. It made me rethink my entire plan.

I had lost contact with my parents, friends, and family, after turning into a vampire. There was no person or no animal in my life that I could risk hurting. Living without some company was not easy, but I knew that it would be less painful when I died from lack of drinking blood.

But these 2 people, they came into my life. Now they live with me and they care about me, why do they care about me? It made what I thought was an easy choice, so much harder. And I liked that. I liked them both, they were good friends. Or… were they more.
After almost half a year of not having people to care about, it felt good.

While I sat thinking about this with a smile, I grew drowsy. Eventually I fell asleep leaning against the pair of vampire hunters.
_________________________________________
1160 words.