Chapter 17: Dream

Karl POV.

I stepped out of the car knowing they wouldn’t let me stay here and looked around nervously, worried that someone here would attack me because I was a vampire. Nick seemed to notice and pulled me closer to him. “Relax,” he said reassuringly, “Alex and I won't let anything happen to you while you are here.”

He was watching me and I nodded at him, even though what he said didn’t make me relax. Alex came over to us carrying a pile of books which seemed to have information about ancient vampires. I wondered if it had anything to do with the vampire they had told me about when they came to the library almost a week ago.

The pair of them walked on either side of me and I felt somewhat protected. They walked over to a staircase and we headed up 2 flights of stairs. There were several people walking around and sent me curious glances. I wasn’t sure if it was because they knew I was a vampire or they were suspicious of a stranger but I leaned closer to Nick.

“Don’t you guys have work to do, somewhere else? I could easily report you to the council if you do.” Nick stated and they all turned away.
I gave him a thankful smile and leaned away from him again as they continued to walk through the halls of this… did they call it a Citadel?

They walked through some windowless hallways to get to a large library. Inside some people were sitting on their own or in groups at tables reading books, typing on computers, or talking quietly.

I looked around before turning back to Nick. “If there is a library here then why did you go to the one that I work at?” I asked, biting my tongue to resist reminding them how they kidnapped me.
He responded quietly. “Dream, one of the guys that worked the other day, knows most of the books in here and didn’t recognise the name Herobrine from any of them.”

The pair continued walking and headed over to a man who was watching them with a disapproving look. It was the same blond from a couple days ago. This must be Dream. On either side of me Alex and Nick looked around awkwardly before walking over to him.

“Hey Dream.” Nick greeted awkwardly when they reached him. “How are you?”
“Don’t ‘hey Dream’ me.” The blond responded. “You both got back here 15 minutes late and decided to bring your vampire roommate with you. I could easily have you both doing paperwork for a month.”

“But you won’t because you love us, right?” Alex guessed.
“No, I most likely will.” Dream admitted. “My office now.” His harsh tone was only directed at the pair on either side of me and he gave me a small smile after, before leading them out of the library.

They both followed and I quickly glanced around the room where several people were now staring at me. I gulped before running after Nick, Alex, and Dream.
The blond was still walking ahead of the other 2 and I ran to stand safely between them again.

When I noticed Alex was looking at me I looked back at him. “Is something wrong?” Alex asked, noting my expression.
“Is Dream really his name?” I questioned quietly so only he could hear..
Alex laughed before shaking his head. “Dream is his code name. All vampire hunters have one.”

“Oh.” I guess I should have figured that. “What is your code name?”
He smiled at me. “I go by Quackity when I’m on the job. Nick went by Sapnap. After training everyone gets to choose their code name, but they can’t change it.”

I nodded in understanding. “So why did you choose Quackity?”
The man opposite me shrugged. “I like ducks. And Nick chose his because he likes pandas.”
Alex saying that caused me to giggle. “So do I call you Alex or Quackity?”
“It’s up to you.” He hummed, and I just nodded.

Eventually Dream opened the door and we all walked inside, revealing a nice looking office. It had a window overlooking the street below which the desk faced and the blond beckoned for us to sit down on a couch with our backs to the window.

I ended up sitting between Nick and Alex... or Sapnap and Quackity, both of whom were fidgeting. Dream sent glares at both of them but I managed to get some sent at me as well, although it seems that I wasn’t meant to be.

“Why are you two back so late?” He finally asked, sitting at his desk and looking at the person sitting on my left before looking at the person sitting on my right.
“I texted you to tell you. On Sapnap’s phone at least. There was a lot of traffic.” Alex responded.

Dream’s eyebrows furrowed. “You know that at the Citadel we are allowed to check security cameras on street corners and storefronts right?” he asked.
Both of the men sitting on either side of me stilled and Dream smirked, I couldn’t help but giggle at their expressions too.

“So do you want to answer again or make my own assumptions?” He asked.
Nick cleared his throat awkwardly before answering. “We had to buy something which was near where we were sent to anyway. We would have been back in time afterwards but we saw Karl.”

“Saw Karl where?” Dream asked, now looking at me. Although he wasn’t looking at me with the same annoyance he had been sending at Nick and Alex.
“I was at a cafe, trying to have a drink in peace.” I answered, and it seemed like Dream hadn’t been expecting me to talk.

“Why were you at the cafe in the first place Karl?” Dream asked, looking at me with a softer expression.
I shrugged before responding. “Because they kidnapped me, then they left, then I had a chance to escape and so I took it. Then I went for a smoothie and they took me before I could have it.”

Nick and Alex had been watching me silently but my gaze stayed firmly on Dream, and his gaze stayed firmly on me. “That seems pretty reasonable.” Dream stated, and Nick and Alex immediately looked back at him but the blond didn’t say anything to them.

"But Karl. You need to understand that you, Nick, Alex, George, and myself could all get hurt if you run off. They have decided to give you a nicer life than other vampires get because… well I'm not sure exactly. I think Nick just fucked up and felt bad."

Nick’s eyes widened and I sent him a glance. “That’s not true.” the ravenette eventually stated, crossing his arms and looking away from the blond.
Dream laughed. “Anyway, as much as I would like to stay here talking shit about you all day, I wanted you back here 15 minutes ago because the council wanted to talk with both of you.”

“Why didn’t you send us there now and yell at us later?” Alex asked, standing up to look at Dream.
“I would have but I didn’t expect you to bring Karl here.” Dream responded. “I figured he wouldn’t want to be bored in your meeting… if he was even allowed in.”

“I brought you all to my office mainly because I was being nice and letting him sit in here away from everyone else.” The blond continued, looking at the vampire hunters who were staring him down. “Didn’t think that a vampire would like to sit in a room full of vampire hunters.”

Nick and Alex both sighed before giving Dream an annoyed sigh. “Fine,” Nick eventually stated. “For once you are right. We should probably be going to the councillors floor then.”
_________________________________________
1311 words.