Chapter 38: Reminiscing

Alex POV.

I walked into the house after spending ages planning stuff out and saw Nick and Karl watching a movie. The vampire sat up straighter and smiled at me, with a pizza box sitting on his lap. It was a pepperoni pizza and while it seemed like he was trying to convince himself to eat the pepperoni he ended up pulling the meat off and sitting it to the side.

“You are back late.” Nick stated blatantly, not taking his eyes off of the tv screen. “We were waiting for you to come home to order pizzas but you took so long we ended up getting it for ourselves.”

“That’s fine.” I responded, “got caught up with some stuff with Dream and George about Karl going undercover, if you are still okay with that Karl?”
The vampire gave a nod. “Yeah. I am fine with that I guess. There isn’t much to do here all day.”

I nodded at what he said and sat down on the couch between Karl and Nick. They had been watching a spy movie and I snatched the pizza box off of Nick, not caring what type of pizza it was, before beginning to eat it.

“So why exactly were you late?” Nick questioned quietly, so Karl couldn’t hear us.
“I don’t know why… but I think the British guy is kind of weird.” I muttered quietly.
“You mean agent Soot?” The ravenette questioned.

“No. I mean George. He is so weird.” I rolled my eyes. “Of course I am talking about Agent bloody Soot you dumbass.”
“Sorry.” my partner muttered. “I just wanted to be sure. Why is he weird?”

I let out a quiet sigh before leaning even closer to Sapnap. “This morning I saw him looking through Citadel files of some of the most dangerous vampires we’ve caught in the past half a century, and he was taking notes on them.”
“That doesn’t sound too weird.” Nick stated, taking another bite of his pizza.

“Yeah but I got in early and saw him doing that, and he was doing it at lunch too.” I stated. “He tried to hide all evidence of it when I walked in on him. I think he is hiding something.”
“What could he be hiding though?” Nick questioned. “Who knows, he might just be curious.”
“I don’t know what he is hiding but it is clearly something.” I raised my voice as I spoke.

“If you are so sure then you should probably tell someone, the council would want to know if someone was suspicious, especially if they are from a different country.” Nick stated, his usual happy, joking demeanor completely gone. “What if he is here to spy for EHVTM?”

“I doubt he’s spying for them.” I responded. “The relationship is too close between COMVIP and EHVTM, he won’t need to spy since we just send information over to each other whenever it is needed.” I stated.
“Then who would he be spying for?” The ravenette asked.

“Who would who be spying for?” Nick and I looked over to see Karl watching us curiously. “Who are you guys talking about?”
“It’s nothing.” I responded with a small smile for the brunette vampire beside me. “You don’t need to worry.”

“Are you two sure? You guys seem so worried and why else would you be whispering?”
His head fell forward slightly so his hair was in front of his face. I reached forward gently and brushed it out of the way of his eyes before giving him another small smile. “It’s okay Karl. We are just talking about one of our coworkers. It’ll be fine.”

The brunette seemed unsure if he believed me or not but gave a nod and turned his attention back to the TV. However now he was leaning on me and was probably trying to listen in to anything that Nick and I said to each other. So the ravenette and I just turned our attention back to the screen as well.

An hour and a half passed and the movie had almost finished. Karl had fallen asleep, curled up cutely in my lap, and I had subconsciously started playing with his hair at some point, brushing the soft, puffy, brown fluff with my fingers. Sapnap had also fallen asleep, his head was on my shoulder but unlike Karl he didn’t look cute in the slightest.

I thought about what had happened during work, or more accurately what had happened after work, which was quite an interesting interaction if I do say so myself.

A few hours earlier

“Well this was a useless couple of hours.” Dream muttered as he closed his laptop, and George and I hummed in agreement.
The 4 of us, Dream, George, Soot, and myself, had been trying to research Herobrine through both COMVIP and EHVTM files. It was a waste of time though since we couldn’t find anything.

“It wasn’t that bad.” Soot responded. “Plus we can always look again next week. Anyway I’m going to go do some research in the library if you all wanted to come.”
Dream and I both responded with a no, and George gave a polite goodbye before he headed off down one of the hallways and the 3 of us went to the elevators.

“Something is off about him.” I finally muttered to myself when we were downstairs, heading over to our cars, which was conveniently in the same section of the car park.
“What did you say, Quackity?” George asked, but I just shook my head.

When we reached the cars George and Dream climbed into the front seat of their car and I climbed into the back seat. Both of my friends gave me a suspicious look. “What are you doing Alex?” Dream questioned, looking at me from through the rear view mirror.

“Needed to talk.” I said, before leaning closer to the pair.
“Needed to talk about what?” The scientist asked.
“Nick and I have got a plan. It involves Karl.” I stated. “It could help us uncover Herobrine too.”

Suddenly they both sounded interested. “What is the plan?” Clay asked, the blond looking incredibly eager, his green eyes almost glowing.
“You know how we talked about sending someone undercover in the area where lots of vampires are? On the west side of the city?” I questioned, and George immediately gasped.

“Alex! No! You can’t send Karl there.” The brunette stated, glaring at me. “He will get hurt. You can’t expect him to agree to thi-”
“He already has agreed.” I stated, shutting George up instantly. “That is how we convinced him to drink blood.”

“So you are sending him to go undercover?” Dream questioned, and I nodded.
“How will that work?” George asked. “Are you just going to send him off on his own and have him report back to you or something?”

“No.” I took a deep breath. “We have gotten a motel room in the area. Karl is going to be ‘staying’ there and will socialise with people and hopefully find stuff out when he isn't. But for his safety we are going to sneak him back home every night with us.”

“So you have planned this all out?” Clay questioned, and I nodded. “This is like a Mission Impossible type thing, and it is impossible. It will get Karl killed if he’s discovered, by the Citadel or by the vampires.”
“We are planning on sending him tomorrow or Sunday, if he agrees of course, and Nick and I will be nearby the whole time.” I stated.

Both Dream and George had gone quiet, probably trying to find a flaw in my plan but before they got the chance I slid out of the car and went over to my own one. “I’ll see you both on Monday.” I told them before driving off.
_________________________________________
1310 words.