Chapter 51: what I witnessed

Sapnap POV.

We drove to the motel without even thinking, both of us were worried. If Karl was with Herobrine he could get hurt really badly, in fact if he was with any vampire he could get hurt really, really badly. The carpark at the motel was unsurprisingly empty, and we sat in the car watching the alleyway that Karl took the other day, hoping for a sign that he was okay.

After less than 2 minutes I decided it was a waste of time and pulled my phone out of my pocket, immediately finding Karl’s contact, calling it before having any second thoughts. But Alex sent me a small glare.

“What?” I questioned, glancing at him before looking back at the phone to see if Karl had answered yet. He hadn’t.
“Why the hell are you calling him?” Quackity asked.

“Because he could be hurt. I am calling him to make sure he is alright.” I responded.
“If he is in the same room as Herobrine and Herobrine hears him talking to a vampire hunter then Karl will most definitely not be alright.”

My eyes widened as I realised my partner was right, but before I could respond Karl had answered the phone. Before the brunette could say anything I let out a relieved sigh. “Hey Karl. Oh my God thank God you are safe we’re so worried.” I said a little too loudly, but thankfully nobody was around to hear.

Karl let out a small laugh from the other end of the phone. “Why wouldn’t I be safe?” He asked. “I am perfectly fine…”
I let out a relieved sigh at that. “Just worried,” I admitted. “You could have gotten hurt or something. We would never forgive ourselves if something happened.”

“Well you don’t need to worry now.” He reassured me. “I’ll be out in a minute, you paranoid assholes. See you in a few.”
He hung up before I could say or do anything else and I smirked at Alex. “Told you he’s fine.” I stated.

The other vampire hunter rolled his eyes. “You called him because you were worried about him, so don’t give me all that ‘told you he’s fine’.”
We rolled our eyes and sat in silence, watching the alley intently for any sign of the brunette. Alex acted as though he knew Karl was okay but I could tell he was worried.

For a few long minutes, which felt more like hours, we just sat there waiting for him, while watching the alleyway. Finally a brunette vampire came from between the tall grey buildings with his head down. With a brief glance up he saw us and began walking in the direction of the car.

When Karl got closer to us it became clear that he was crying. He climbed into the back seat and curled up slightly while sniffling. “Karl, are you okay?” Alex asked in a quiet voice.
The vampire didn’t respond, instead continuing to sob quietly into his arms.

I asked as well. “Karl? Did something happen?” But once again there was no response.
With a glance at each other, Alex and I climbed into the backseat. Karl barely even flinched as we wrapped our arms around him, before he quickly buried his head into my chest, quietening his sniffling slightly.

Quackity wrapped his arms around Karl from behind and the brunette nuzzled into the warmth on either side of him while still crying. Both of us rubbed small comforting circles on his back as his tears made my clothes wet.

Eventually he calmed down and his crying into whimpers. We shushed him quietly and as I continued to rub circles on his back, Alex began to run his fingers through Karl’s hair and he leaned into the touch.

When he eventually looked up, and rubbed his tired looking grey eyes, he stared at us. “Are you okay?” I asked, pulling him closer.
Karl just shrugged his shoulders, before turning around and cuddling into Quackity.
“Want to talk about it?” He asked as he wrapped his arms around Karl.

“I saw… I witnessed vampires killing people. But… but I couldn’t do anything, and-and they screamed and it…” he cut himself off with another sniffle and hid his face in my shirt again, causing me to wrap my arms protectively around him.

“It’s okay,” I muttered, cupping the side of his face when he looked up at me momentarily. “I promise that it’s okay.”
“But it’s not,” he responded. “I should have tried to stop the vampire’s but I didn’t. Now there are people probably dead and I could have helped them.”

“Don’t worry Karl.” Alex added. “You are okay, I know what that feeling is like. So does Nick. Which is why we do what we do. You are helping us help people like them, soon you can save a lot of people. Okay?”

Karl gave a small nod which made me smile as he continued to cuddle into me. For a while the 3 of us continued to sit in silence while Karl clung onto Alex with his head buried in my shirt. Alex and I didn’t know what Karl saw exactly, besides that he saw some vampires killing people.

Neither of us moved until Karl began uncurling himself from his little ball sandwiched between the two of us. Eventually he let go of us and the pair of us watched him to see what he wanted to do. “Are you okay?” I asked, and he gave a small nod.

“What do you want to do Karl?” Alex asked, cupping his cheek. The vampire nuzzled into his hand with a small smile.
“Can we just go home?” He muttered. “I just wanna sleep.”
“Of course we can, Karl.” I answered with a smile.

“Thank you both.” He muttered, his eyes fluttering slightly. “You two are the best. I love you both.” The last sentence was a lot quieter and he seemed to have fallen asleep pretty much immediately after saying that.

Wide grins appeared on our faces as he said that. Both Alex and I placed gentle kisses on his forehead which caused a smile to appear on the sleeping brunette’s face. After a couple of minutes of silent arguing, Quackity ended up cuddling into the vampire in the back seat while I had to climb into the front and drive.

Alex and I had planned on talking to Karl about how we both felt about him, and although it seemed complicated an hour ago, now it was a lot more simple.
_________________________________________
1095 words.