11: forced apology ☆

"I'm very determined, you know?"

--☆--☆--☆--

The Rhodes girl sat on her bed flipping through the pages of the diary she kept her during her freshman year. She didn't usually look through the book, it often made her cringe and the only reason she held onto it was for her future kids. Most of the entries involved Sarah, the first time they drank, their first boyfriends; it was all documented in that little book.

Her fingers traced over Rafe's name in her book. Even at the age of 14 she knew that she was supposed to end up with the Cameron boy, only difference was when she was 14 she wasn't so determined to fight the power that is her mother. She was still young and thought her mother was the best person alive, she hadn't realized that her mother was a manipulative bitch.

She read over the words her 14 year old self wrote, and wondered where that girl went. Was it all the drama? The boys, the alcohol? What was it that scared that little girl away? The one that did everything to please her parents and would sit in her dad's office doing homework just to spend more time with him. Emerson didn't recognize that girl anymore, she was gone, long gone.

A sudden knock pulled her from her thoughts as she sat up in her bed. She looked at the door, waiting for it to open but nothing happened.Except it wasn't coming from her door, it was from her window. She got out of bed and pulled open the curtains, rolling her eyes when she saw JJ standing on her balcony.

"Great," She muttered in annoyance as she opened her window. "What the hell are you doing here?" She asked as the Maybank boy climbed into her room.

"I..." JJ paused, almost as if he needed to remind himself what he was doing there in the first place. "I needed to talk to you."

"Okay," Emerson shrugged, "and you had to come talk to me at midnight?"

"It's only 11:50," He told her.

"Not the point, JJ," She rolled her eyes. She sat down on her bed, rubbing her eyes, of course now she seemed to get tired. "Are you going to explain yourself or are you just gonna stand there?" She asked.

"I'm an asshole," He told her, moving to stand right in front of her.

"Yeah, you are," Emerson agreed.

"I left you, I walked away," He continued. Emerson didn't say anything this time, not knowing what JJ was trying to tell her. "I shouldn't have." Emerson scoffed quietly, but kept her mouth shut as JJ continued. "I made a mistake, Emerson."