24: a royal pogue ☆

"You're my girl Emerson"

--☆--☆--☆--

It was safe to say that the pogues were shocked when they heard Pope's news. They knew something was up the second he got in the twinkie but what he told them was so far out of left field they didn't know how to react. Their best friend, Pope Heyward, was related to Denmark Tanny. The same man who brought the gold from the Royal Merchant to the OBX.

After hearing about the Heyward family tree the pogues relocated themselves back to Heyward's shop. All of them had a beer in their hands, none of them bothering to try to hide it.

"I still can't believe you're related to Denmark Tanny," John B said as he walked over to Pope, putting his hand on the boy's shoulder.

"Uh-huh," JJ nodded excitedly.

"Are we in the presence of a royal?" John B asked, his head tilting to the side.

"A king?" JJ asked then switched into a British accent as he approached Pope. He pretended to put a crown in his head while he said, "We shall crown him. All hail the lord of Tannyhill!" He laughed as everyone pretended to bow down to Pope. "We are not worthy."

"Will you buy me a pony?" Emerson asked, her eyes lighting up at the idea of a pony. JJ pointed at her, sharing the same idea.

"Everybody relax!" Pope said, all the attention making him a little flushed. "Can we relax, please?"

"Relocate the cat's ass, question mark?" Sarah asked, looking right at JJ.

"I'm with that," He told her.

"How soon can we move in?" Kiara asked.

"'Cause I don't have a place to stay," JJ reminded them.

"Me either. Bunk beds?" Kiara asked, looking right at JJ.

"Bunk beds," JJ nodded. "Cheers to that."

JJ looked over at Emerson, his smile falling when he saw her looking at the ground. She let out a sigh then looked up chugging the last bit of her beer while the rest of the laughter died down. It was at this moment Emerson realized she couldn't go home. Sure she wasn't kicked out like last time but this was different, this was worse.

"I just keep thinking about the letter, the one that Limbrey sent," Pope said and the mood immediately shifted back to seriousness. "It had the wheat symbol on it. That must mean it has something to do with the Royal Merchant."