43: poguelandia ☆

"Going full pogue

"Going full pogue."

--☆--☆--☆--

Pope flinched when a gunshot went off inside the crane. "Oh shit!" He yelled, trying to protect himself from the bullet.

"Hey, get down! Get out of there!" Cleo yelled at him from outside the crane. She was still holding onto the rope attached to the cross, desperately trying to keep it in her grasp.

Pope looked at the cross, thinking about his family heritage and what that cross meant to them. He knew what he had to do, even if it wasn't exactly ideal. "Drop the line."

"Why?" Cleo asked him, turning to look at the Heyward boy.

"We're pinched. Just do it!"

"Are you sure?" She yelled.

"Yes. Drop it!" Pope said.

"Okay, fine," Cleo let go of the rope and it quickly started sliding towards the edge of the ship.

From inside the crane Pope watched as Rafe ran out, grabbing ahold of the rope, in an attempt to save the cross. "If we can't have it, no one can. Sorry Denmark," Pope said quickly then hit a button and the crane dropped the cross.

The cross fell into the water causing Rafe to slide forward as he struggled to keep his grip on the rope. Another shot was fired into the crane and Pope knew he had to get out.

"Get down here!" Cleo yelled to him. "Come on!" Pope climbed out from the top of the booth, and carefully maneuvered his way back to the ground. "We gotta go! We gotta go!"

"Help! Help me!" Rafe yelled at the workers, ordering them to come assist him.

"Let's go, P," Cleo shouted then at the same time the two of them started running towards the side of the ship. One of the crew workers tried to fire at them but they jumped before the bullet could hit them.

"Shit!"

"Are you okay?" Pope asked once he came out from the water.

"Yeah," Cleo nodded as she swam closer to him.

"No," Pope gasped when the crew started lifting the cross out from the water. "No! Hey! No! Damn it!"

"Pope!"

The Heyward boy turned when he heard Emerson's voice. He saw the lifeboat headed in his direction and felt relief knowing that John B and Sarah were able to save the Rhodes girl.

"Hey! We're over here!" He yelled, waving his hand in the air.

John B pulled the boat up beside them. Sarah went to go help the girl while Emerson and John B did their best to pull Pope in.