20: whiskey killer ☆

tw: abuse/ assault

"It's me, your daughter."

--☆--☆--☆--

The two girls parted ways once they reached the Carrera household. Kiara slowly walked towards her house while Emerson continued down the street. It wasn't until she reached the gates outside her house when the pit in her stomach reappeared. Anxiety flooded her body but she continued towards her front door.

She noticed that there was only one car in the driveway, and it was hers. Meaning there was a possibility that there was no one inside the house, which would be ideal for the Rhodes girl. She didn't bother knocking on the door, she simply opened it and stood quietly waiting to see if she could hear anyone inside.

The house was quiet, like it always was, but this time it almost felt eerie. Emerson stepped into her home, closing the front door behind her. She walked straight towards Carter's office, knowing that she probably didn't have much time until someone returned.

Emerson went for the key that she found with JJ only weeks ago before going towards Carter's desk. She unlocked the bottom drawer and to her surprise the drawer was empty. It was almost like there was nothing there in the first place. Emerson scoffed, then opened all the other drawers, trying to find those files. She knew they must be around her somewhere, but where?

"Come on. Where are you?" She whispered to herself as she looked all around the office. "I know you're in here somewhere."

She began pacing around the room trying to think of where her father would hide something. It wasn't until a floorboard creaked underneath her foot did she stop pacing. She placed her foot on the floorboard moving it back and forth causing a small squeak. Emerson kneeled down trying to lift the board. She tried once, twice, three times, and just as she was about to give up the floorboard moved.

"Yes," Emerson whispered as she lifted the floorboard, moving it to her left. But the second she looked inside she wished she hadn't.

"Emerson," His voice caused her to turn around and fear filled her.

"Dad..." She could smell the alcohol coming from her father. He looked disheveled, and almost worried. She'd never seen him like that before. Emerson knew that there were people on the island who were afraid of her father, and until now she never understood why.