33: bon voyage ☆

"Speed is your friend!"

--☆--☆--☆--

"Ah crap!" Pope gasped, "The tide. Oh, this doesn't look good."

Emerson opened her eyes, looking out at the tide and sure enough it had risen. The road was gone, it was covered with water. There was no way the Twinkie would be able to make it across, they barely made it across the first time.

"How deep is that?" Kiara asked.

"I double dog dare you to go check," Emerson said to her, turning her head to look at her friend.

"Double dog dare? Really, Em? What is this, middle school?" Kiara laughed.

"The road's gone," John B observed as the van came to a stop.

"Tide rose a little faster than I thought it would," JJ announced.

"Just a little bit."

"Uh... John B, how high are the spark plugs?" JJ asked his best friend.

"They're good. We're fine," John B replied, but he sounded more nervous than he intended.

"No. How high are they?"

"Uh..." John B stuck his head out the window, looking out at the van. "Just above the tail light."

"So that's, what, three feet?" Pope hoped.

"That's three feet, yeah," JJ nodded.

"It can't be three feet deep," Kiara said, looking out at the water.

"Then what's the problem?"

"Not a problem. No, we're good," JJ nodded looking back at the water in front of them. "We're good. She'll make it."

"Yeah. Ladies and Gentlemen fasten your seat belts. Hold on to something," John B told the rest of the group. "We're going into hyperdrive."

"I'll say a quick prayer."

"JJ," Emerson said, sounding nervous about what was about to happen. The Maybank boy wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her even closer to him. It was like he was her seatbelt, ensuring she wouldn't get hurt.

"Three, two, one," John B slammed his foot on the gas, just like he did when they drove through here the first time.

"You got this! You got this!" JJ yelled, trying to encourage John B.

"Oh my god," Emerson held onto the side of the twinkie.

"Faster! Speed is your friend!" JJ reminded him.