Christmas Ball

The ride to France's house was a long one. Esmeralda sat down and her dress puffed up all around her. She squished it down as Spain sat next to her and patted a piece of the beautiful dress. He took some of the fabric between his fingers and rubbed it slightly.

"It's a beautiful dress. You look gorgeous in it princesa", he looked at his colony straight in the eye. "Uh...Thanks", Esmeralda looked anywhere but at Spain, silently praying for the Italians to hop in so she wasn't alone with the Spaniard.

"No really, you look amazing", Antonio went on. He was about to say something else, but as soon as he opened his mouth, Romano stumbled in. He rose an eyebrow at Esmeralda's dress, "Need an extra seat?". She thanked God for his arrival and quickly jumped into conversation and didn't stop talking to avoid an open opportunity for Spain to start talking again.

The two carriages finally pulled up to a giant white mansion. Everyone piled out. Arthur and Alfred were in the middle of arguing over Alfred's bow tie. "But I don't want to wear it! Bow ties are for old crummy men", Alfred scrunched his face up. England's face turned red, "I wear bow ties all the time and I can assure you that I am not old and crummy!". France giggled as he straightened his suit, "I beg to differ".

Everyone made their way up the steps and into the mansion. Corridor after corridor, they all stuck together until soft music could be heard. France stopped in front of two marble doors that reached the ceiling. A smug smile was on his face. "Prepare to be amazed", he said mainly to the colonies, who have never seen his place before, besides Feliciano. He opened the doors and gestured inside. The classical music reached deep into their ears, but in the softest way ever, white light poured into the hallway, and the sound of mingling was present.

Feliciano ran in to go find Austria. Everyone else stayed behind. Esmeralda was wide eyed as she looked at the ornate ball room. She looked up to see crystal chandeliers and she looked down to see her own reflection in the tile. Some of the countries were already here. Some occupied the middle of the room, which was for the dancing. They moved swiftly and elegantly. Esmeralda watched in awe. The minglers were off to the side, drinking and eating. A small band was at the back of the room, playing with cellos, pianos, violins, and many other instroments to creat a classical mood. Everything sparkled. Christmas decorations were set up along the walls. Holy and tinsel lined the room. Austria and a woman with flowers in her hair were kissing under mistletoe. Everyone stopped and looked at the colonies as they entered, eyeing them with want and eyeing their owners with envy, but quickly went back to their business.

Esmeralda looked around, not sure what to do. All the stares made her a little uncomfortable. She didn't mind if people looked, but the way they stared, as if they were cursing a high power for not being able to get their hands on her land before Spain did. Alfred was the first to break the silence. "Alright, party!", he dashed over to the side of the room where large tables in golden cloth were piled with dozens of French delicacies. England ran after him, "Behave yourself! I will never let you hear the end of this if you embarrass me!".

Prussia scurried off to go annoy Austria and the lady, who Esmeralda heard Prussia call Hungary. France was pulled away by a complimenting nation. Spain patted Romano and Esmeralda's shoulders. "Have fun guys! But be careful, a lot of these people would love to steal you. Stay safe!", he grinned widely and went to go talk to Belgium. Romano gulped and stood closer to Esmeralda. She rolled her eyes and walked around with Lovino. "This place is fucking huge", Romano's eyes darted everywhere. "I think it's gorgeous", Esmeralda smiled. "Oh God, I think you're starting to develop taste for things. First this dress, and now you're mesmerized by a room?", he joked. She nudged his side, "What? Like I didn't have taste before?". He smirked, "You're a casual person. I would say you're getting a taste of the finer things in life, but you've known me for about two to three centuries sooo, you get where I'm going?". New Spain raised an eyebrow, "So you're saying you're the finest thing in my life". Romano put an arm around her, "Precisely".