The Irony of Love

The year just so happened to be 1779 and Esmeralda had finally reached adult hood. She had spent the the first few days of her womanhood listening to Lovino's theories about Antonio making some deals in her land to make sure she would become a woman quickly. He could be right...or downright delusional.

"I'm telling you Esmeralda, you are an adult! You know who else is an adult? Spain is an adult!" he yelled after her as she calmly checked her garden.

"Yeah and I thought you were an adult as well" she rolled her eyes, plucking a ripe tomato and shoving it in her basket.

"Listen missy, I could really use some slack from your sass considering the fucking fact that I'm trying to warn you. You're in the danger zone. You're available and if Spain wants grabs, nothing can stop him from trying!" he tripped over a root, but dusted himself off and continued to explain to his friend that she qualified to be in a relationship with Spain and he was free to hit on her and the only thing stopping them was consent.

"Okay well if he makes a move, I'll be sure to tell you. Or better yet, since you're so obsessed with this issue, why don't YOU hook up with Antonio instead" she shook her head and wiped the dirt from her hands onto the apron that France had sent her as a gift for her achievements. Actually, what the Frenchman had sent her was a whole array of new clothing, perfumes, and some stuff here and there that made Spain march up to his study and write an angry letter telling him to watch what he sends to his precious colony. Esmeralda enjoyed the appropriate gifts lovingly. Even though she wasn't dainty and her face has had more in mud and dirt than it did in makeup, she enjoyed little feminine things every so often. True, she grew up around males and her time spent with her mother wasn't exactly frills and glitter, but there was still that feminine aspect in her heart.

Lovino scoffed, "Haha, joke of the century! But don't be ridiculous. I don't have time to be fraternizing with assholes like him. Besides, we all know Spain will never settle for me or anyone else if you're around". He gave her a suggestive glance, raising his eyebrows at his statement. "I mean come on, the man worships you. If he still had that stupid long hair, I'm pretty damn sure he'd wash your feet with it" he reached in her basket, taking a tomato out and biting into it smugly.

"Lovino, how much spare time can one possibly have to become so engrossed in the possibility of a relationship with the people he lives with? How often do you think about me and Antonio?" she snatched back the tomato and looked at him as though his face had suddenly disappeared.

"A lot of spare time. And besides, I have to get all my facts straight and do all my research before I go on babbling about my theories. And  what business it is of yours if I lay in bed all night thinking about how possible it is that the bastard is in love with you" he grabbed the tomato again when he was sure she wasn't looking, but her hand jolted out, grabbing his wrist, causing him to drop it back in its place.

"I think it's all my business if all you do is rationalize theories about Antonio and I! I mean, I'm glad you're finally using your brain, but can you please not become obsessed with the idea of him and i being a couple" she shook her head, trying to reason with the stubborn Italian who just pushed pass her and began walking again.

"Listen to me Esmeralda, seriously. Look, before you came along, Spain was a pirate with a thirst for adventure and blood and gold and whatever sweet land he could claim his before England or France could get their slimy hands on it. He never missed an expedition and was barely ever home in his own country. But what happened when Spain's men eagerly sailed their asses to that Asian island? All the men went but Spain stayed home. He stayed with us, no! He stayed with you. He passed up the chance to see what his new instalment in colonization looked like to stay by your side, hopelessly trying to win your affection" he crossed his arms as if his little speech would crack through Esmeralda and she would drop her basket and cry into his chest about how everything he was saying was true and how sorry she was that she doubted him, and he would calm her down while promising that he would protect her from the Spanish bastard, but all she did was stare at him blankly and use her hands to block out the bright sun that shone directly in her face.