Dreams

“The Princess Bride?” I say laughing.

            “Is that inconceivable?” He smiles broadly back at me.

I never would have guessed Dean liking that type of movie but I’m so thankful it’s exactly the kind of movie I would have picked. 

“Anybody want a peanut?” I ask him as we both laugh together, not letting up until we got into his bed and snuggled up close to one another.

We lay watching the movie until I happen to glance up at him and notice his eyes are shut. I reach up to touch his lashes wanting to touch his face while he looks so vulnerable. I gently caress his cheek and when he takes a sharp inhale I put my arm back on his chest.

When I try to close my eyes to rest I can’t. I’ve already slept so much today on the beach. I find myself getting up from his bad quietly and walking to the door. I know in the back of my head what I want to do, what my fingers are aching to do. It’s a feeling I’ve fought for years but felt too trapped in my emotions to do it.

I make my way down to the room where Deans’ grand piano is. I marvel at its grandness again. When I sit at the bench it creaks. I stroke the keys to find my courage and then I play a simple note. The sound reverberates across the room and for the first time since my parent’s death, I find myself actually smiling while I play.

                                     DEAN POV

‘It’s okay Violet; they will be in their room all night. I can hear them laughing.”

My parent’s laughter is loud coming from across the hall. The house is small and it stinks. There’s smoke everywhere in the house. Dad left the door creaked open and I had peeked in and saw them drinking from different bottles and smoking. I went to my room that I shared with Violet and we shut the door.

“Are you sure Dad isn’t coming to see me tonight?” Violet’s eyes tear up. I don’t understand why she hates dad so much. She won’t tell me.

“Yes Violet. They look tired.”

She nods and goes to her bed.

I hate them. I hate my parents. I wish they would die.

Violet and I can’t wait to go to school every morning so we can leave them. They don’t love us. They hit us. I want to see my teacher, Mrs. Amy. She cares for us and makes sure we eat. Fourth grade is so much fun.  I almost fall asleep when I hear the door open and dad stumbles in with a bottle in his hand. I look over to where Violet sleeps. She opens her eyes and stares at me.

“Come to Daddy’s room Vi.” He whispers as he picks her up and she doesn’t move. I lay motionless. I don’t know why he comes in here some nights and gets her out of bed. They leave and I hear Dad shut the door. I lay awake. I can’t sleep when Violet is in their room.

My heart is beating too fast as I wake. I sit up and there is sweat over my body. I bring my hand to my eyes, rubbing away the memories. I throw the blankets off myself and then notice that Belle isn’t next to me.

I look towards the bathroom and see a light on from under the door. The shower turns on.

I get out of bed and try the handle. It opens and there standing naked is Belle. She turns and I see her startled expression. She smiles.

“Joining me in a shower?”

I take my boxers off and join her as we both step into the scalding hot water together.