Trying

Belle POV

  It's been three days since I ran out of the club with Eve. When I got to the apartment I went straight to bed. Eve knew I wasn't in the talking mood. She mostly held my hand as I cried in the cab anyway. The next morning I went to class like usual and dreaded when I'd see Dean. The moment I set foot in his class I walked over to my seat and took my notes out not sparing him a single glance.

 His voice sounded his usual deep baritone when he welcomed everyone and began the lesson. I kept my eyes diligently on my work. Eve was there with me to keep me focused on my tasks. Tristan was also beside me playing with his pen. He caught me looking and gave me a polite smile. I could hardly smile back. Class ended and I was the first to walk out.

 Now, it's Wednesday night and Eve is out with friends. I'm alone in the apartment with my notes spread out on my bed and my Netflix set to some house DIY show. I've tried to divert all my thoughts to work but as I lay in bed I can't help but think of him. What is he doing? Does he even miss me?

No, because he doesn't have feelings for me. I layed my feelings out bare for him and what does he do? Nothing.

 I grab my phone to text Eve if she wants to go for a drink when it vibrates with a call.

 My heart lurches and then I drop it on the floor. Crap!

I pick it up and watch it, debating on if I should answer.  Finally, it stops flashing.

So Dean wants to talk now. I hope he feels like shit for the way he treated me. I sit back on my bed and notice the voicemail icon pop up.

This better not be a booty call.

I press play and listen.

"Belle... Look, I understand you're pissed. I just—wish you didn't run out like that. I know I should have talked to you sooner but I wanted to give you space. If your wishes are for me to leave you alone then I will."

 He inhales sharply and I feel like he wants to say more.

"I'm sorry I hurt you."  Long pause... "I wish I could be better for you."

Then he hangs up. Just like that and my heart clenches with sadness and regret. I miss Dean terribly. Three days! Just three days have passed and I want to go back to him and tell him I'll stay even if he doesn't love me. But I'm a lot stronger than that kind of pathetic girl. I can move on from this. It might take time but I will be able to one day.

                                                Dean POV

The light is harsh against my eyes when I open them from sleep. I find myself in my library, head on my graded papers. I switch to a lower setting on the lamp and rub my temples. I glance at my watch. Twelve thirty-five AM.  I head to my bedroom and try not to think of how much I want Belle right now.

I probably shouldn't have called and left a message for her. I hate that I can't be honest with her about my feelings. It's just that I haven't ever had this. The situation is difficult. I assumed I would just keep fucking her throughout her college semesters and be done. But the more I think of her the more I want it to be something other than fucking. I've messed that up though. It's easy enough to fuck a student but to date one long term? I can't imagine that working.

I pull back the covers to my bed and gratefully let sleep takeover.

"Mr. Niren, sorry to disturb you...you have a rather urgent call."

I startle awake at the sound of Cogsworth. One glance at his face and I know something is wrong. 

"I'll be there in a moment, thank you." I get up quickly as Cogsworth leaves the room and I throw on a shirt and head out to my library where Cogsworth is standing holding my house phone. I take it from him.

"Yes? Dean Niren speaking."

"Mr. Niren it's Lana from the Johnson Institution."

My heart stops. "What's happened?"

"Violet has injured herself...we had to subdue her. We need you here as soon as possible. She has been calling out for you."

Oh God, Violet... "How bad is her injury?"

"She stole a knife from the kitchen. She's cut her arm with it but someone saw and ran to her before she could really injure herself."

"I'll be there soon." I hang up and run upstairs to change clothes and gather myself before I leave.

                                                            BELLE POV

I've managed to apply to two different internships; a health insurance company, MEDFast, and a marketing company, Noble Technologies INC. Both would be a great summer internship. I'm leaning towards the marketing company because that's where I'd get to see the most action in what I would be doing after college. English was cancelled so I didn't get to see Dean today. I thought about sending a quick text to see if he was alright but decided I needed to cut ties with him for real this time. 

"You ready?" Eve says as she rushes in the room and into the closet to change.

"Um yeah one sec." I close my laptop and walk over to my dresser to change out of my sweatpants into jeans.

"Double dating will be so much fun!" Eve squeals.

"Yeah." I don't want to tell Eve how much I don't want to do this.  I can't picture myself seeing anyone but him.

"So this guy you met in your drama class?"

She pokes her head out and smiles. "Yup! Zayn is a heartthrob."

"He sounds it. That dress is nice." She exits with a short flowy dress covered in yellow flowers. It matches her hair.

"I definitely will be getting some, no doubt." She winks and I can't help my laugh.

"Let's go meet this Samuel guy." She grins and we head out for a nice dinner with two nice men. Nice.

** Authors Note **

Super quick update bookworms because I know I torture you! Hopfully i will update again this month. (I try to update once every month) the next chapter will be longer i promise :) LOVE YOU BOOKWORMS!