Can I Be Happy Again?

Dean POV

 The Johnson Institute buzzes me in when they see it's me. I walk in briskly towards the front desk where I see my parents. Mom's in a black dress, heels high and makeup meticulously applied. She looked beautiful as always. Dad was wearing his usual tan suit and loafers. His style was all my mothers doing. He could care less.

 "She's sleeping now but you may see her two at a time." The nurse tells them.

 "Oh thank you Annie," Mom says.

 "Dean," dad addresses me as I walk up to them and give a brief hug. My mom turns and kisses my cheek then embraces me.

 "Oh Darling! Violet is fine the nurses told me she's sleeping now. I just don't know what set her off..." Her eyes are watering now.

 "Mom it'll be okay.  Violet is strong. You know how strong she is." mom nods once and the tears fall freely from her eyes. Dad wipes them for her.

 "Ellie, love, lets go sit in the waiting room while Dean sees her first. She needs to see him."

 I have the nurse lead me to Violets room. It's different from her last. Her room has a large glass window with blinds drawn shut. The nurse, Macy her name tag says, opens the door for me and I spot Violet in bed with a needle in her arm. She's asleep. I take the time to asses her injury.

White bandages cover her left wrist. I take the seat next to her and touch her hand gently.

 "Violet," I whisper. "It's Dean. Can you wake up for me for just a minute Vi?"

She opens her eyes slowly. I give her a little squeeze of encouragement.

 "Hey Vi," I smile and give a kiss to her head.

 "Dean." She grumbles, trying to find her voice.

 "Hey. You feeling okay?"

 "I'm so sorry Dean. I promise it won't happen again. I had a bad day is all."

 "Shh— Vi it's okay."

 "I'm so tired..."

 "I know you are. I'm leaving but I wanted to tell you something."

 "Yeah?"

 "Ellie and Jason are here to see you."

 She smiles faintly. She loves our new parents. She struggles so much with the past though.

 "They love us so much Vi. Our past is behind us...we have parents that would do anything for us. Please don't forget that. One day you will get out of this place and be happy."

 Violet tries to sit up and I help her.

 "I know they do. It still doesn't take the nightmares away though brother."

I nod, she knows I have the same nightmares. She feels bad for bringing it up and she pats my cheek with a small smile.

 "Everything's going to be okay Dean. I promise."

 "You need to really promise me this time Vi. You're the only family I have."

She looks me in the eyes, the same color as mine. She looks scared, but determined. I see them glisten from unshed tears.

 "Dean..."

 "Promise me Violet."

 "I'll get better. I won't do that again. I promise."

I let out an exhale. I can't lose my sister. She's all I have.