His Story

"What happened to her? is she okay?" So something did happen to her. Oh God. I know he cares deeply for her.

"She tried to hurt herself but she's alright. I went to see her today. That's why I cancelled class."

"But why would she do that?" I ask loudly.

"She's had a rough life Belle." He sounds offended.

"I'm so sorry, are you alright?" I take his hand. He looks at me and nods a quick movement.

"Can I ask how?"

"Knife to her wrist."

"Oh God." How horrible! Dean must be a mess.

"She's going to be alright. She has a long way to go before she can be released. I don't think she wants to leave there anyway."

"How long has she been this way?" we find a place to sit in the sand. The sound of the water is calming. I wonder if this is why Dean loves it out here.

"She had a breakdown at eighteen. It's been awhile."

"How old are you?" It never crossed my mind to ask Dean his age. It didnt seem to be anything I needed to know. He smiles softly. His blue eyes glance over to me.

"Old enough."

"Oh c'mon. You know It doesn't matter right?"

"Sure." He's smiling still.

"Dean."

"Alright!" He says laughing. "I'm twenty-nine."

"Like I said, it doesn't matter. I'm twenty-one if you didnt know."

"I know."

"Does that bother you?"

"Not at all."

I lay my head back against the sand and its just dark enough outside that the stars are easily seen. I love to stargaze. I used to do this with my parents when I was a kid.

"What are you thinking right now?" Dean asks me, his hand against his head as he lays sideways, gazing at me.

"My parents." I sigh.

"I think of mine often."

"Your real parents?"

"Yes. The most fucked up parents ever."

"What happened Dean?"

He lays back agaisnt the sand like I am.I can't see his face.

"Do you think i'm messed up Belle?"

"I think you have a certain perception of what love is." I flush with embarassment. No this isnt what i wanted to say. I quickly scramble for words to say, "What i mean to say is, I think you look at relationships differently

than others just from what i know of your class."

"You think my view on relationships is a bad thing. Don't you?"

"I think you dont have a positive view on relationships..."

"You're right." He says, shocking me. "My view on love was scewered from the beginning."

"What do you mean?"

"I think I want to tell you now."

"Tell me...?"

"The reason my sister is in that place, the reason for my not wanting to get close to anyone..."

"Oh Dean," this is what i wanted right? for him to open up? Why do i feel so horrible about it? I sit up so i can look at him. Really look at him. It's pretty dark out but the lights from his patio are on, casting a dim glow over the beach. They shine enough for me to make out his eyes shimmering from unshed tears.