The Party

We both receive looks from the college kids as we exit our room. It's kind of nice being dressed so fancy for an important dinner. I probably won't ever get to go to something so nice again. I cherish this moment. With our heads held high we make our way outside to the waiting cab. The function apparently isn't being held on the school grounds. It's in the city at a restaurant called Leonardo's.  Eve told me the school had a reservation for the top floor of the restaurant and it's a really swanky place.

The cab driver says a polite hello and looks at Eve like she's a porn star. I roll my eyes. We make our way into the city, passing light after light. It seems to take forever. I wonder what Dean will look like tonight. Will he wear a black and white tux? I almost drool at the thought of him. Eve is busy texting when I glance over at her. She's been preoccupied lately with some guy.

"So I wonder who Dean is bringing tonight?" she asks me.

I stare at her. What?

"Why would he bring anyone?" I ask, incredulous. He wouldn't dare do that! After we spent the weekend together? No, just no.

"Well, it's kind of an event you don't go alone to..." she trails off.

"No. There's no way he would invite another woman. I mean, we spent the entire weekend together."

"Well maybe you're right. I just assumed he would."

The rest of the ride her eyes are locked on her cell. We finally pull up to a tall building in the middle of the city it seems like and we get out the car. Eve pays the man and he tries to get her number but she kindly declines. I smile, my anger at her dissipating. I'm not sure why I was so mad at her anyway. I look up at the place and see it's packed with men in black suits. There are women in gorgeous dresses with their arms locked with their dates. They make their way inside the restaurant that has our schools name on a billboard. I grab Eve's hand and we make our way inside.

Leonardo's setting is breathtaking. When you first walk in there's huge mirrors on either side of the foyer, a large black sofa for guests to sit. The music is loud enough to hear over the sound of chatter from guests.

The man at the front desk looks at us and I tell him we're with the college. He tells us that the party is held on the top floor and to head straight ahead. I look at Eve and we both smile. There are two elevators and a long line. The good part is there's a waiter with a tray of martinis. I grab two and hand one to Eve.

"It's going to be a fun night little Belle," she giggles as she sips the drink.  I really hope so.

"We might even see some Professors get drunk. Wouldn't that be a sight?"

"The only Professor I want to see intoxicated is Mrs. James. That woman looks like a toad. I bet she dances like one too."

"And how does one dance like a toad?" I say as I laugh at the picture in my head of a toad.

"You know..."

She bends her knees and sticks her head out like a chicken would do. I can't stop the onslaught of laughter as she continues to walk around like that. 

"Stop, oh please you're killing me!" I grab her arm and she laughs with me.

The line picks up and we're next to get in. Once we're in I notice a couple inside the elevator. The woman's dress is red and tight around her hour glass shape. She has a high slit up her thigh. Her hair is blonde and straight. She's staring into the eyes of Dean Niren.

A white streak of anger flashes through me so harshly I almost fall back. Eve knows. She knows that girl is Dean's date. I feel sick. I want out of this elevator! I rush to the doors as it beeps and opens. We run out and I hear Dean say something but I don't bother. I walk towards the open bar. I need a drink. And fast. I'm glad Eve and I got transferred from community college to here at our age. Being 21 year old freshmen is great. I order a shot, something I never do.