Black Velvet

“Samuel, what are you majoring in?” 

Samuel and I are still outside having a drink on the patio. The conversation is going well. He seems like a nice man.

“Political Science.”

“Well, that gives me nothing to talk about.”

He laughs. “It’s what my father wants. I don’t really mind the salary it will bring me once I graduate.”

“I want to do marketing when I graduate. Work for some big business and have my own office. It seems like it would be nice.”

“Is that what you’re passionate about then? Marketing?”

“Well, no.”

He scrunches his brows together reminding me of something Dean would do. I sigh.

“I wanted to play piano. But then reality hit me.” I get up from my chair politely.

“Off to the party?” He stands up with me.

“Yeah I’ve been gone for a while. Eve might be worrying.”

“Of course. It was nice talking with you…maybe we could meet up another day and get a drink?”

I smile because I know that’s what the polite thing to do is. I should see him again. He’s a nice man.

“Sure. I’ll give you my number.”

Once I’m back upstairs I see the party has really started. Everyone seems to be dancing. Appropriately, of course. The song isn’t one I recognize but definitely sounds old. I scan the room for Eve and spot her with a group of college students chatting near the bar.

I make my way over to her. I don’t try to find Dean. I don’t want to ruin my plan of seeing other men. The minute I see him I would change my mind. Luckily, I don’t see him or his date.

  “Belle! where did you go? You were gone so long.”

“Just had to get some air, sorry.”

“These are some friends from my art class; Jess, Lydia, and Ansel.” She introduces me to them and I nod to each one. Jess is a pretty brunette with a cute short black dress. She looks shy. Lydia has a pink pixie cut haircut and a bright orange dress.

“Killer dress babe,” Lydia winks and I blush. Eve laughs

“Ignore her she’s a flirt.” The man, Ansel says. He has blond hair, cut short. He’s wearing a fitted tux, the same as everyman here. He’s cute. Not Dean Cute but still very attractive.

“Nice to meet you all.”

“So who wants to hit the after-party? We’re trying to hit some club here in the city called Black Velvet. Who’s in?”

“Oh that’s the club Belle and I went to our night before coming to college!” Eve practically screams.

“It’s open on a Sunday night?” I ask, not sure why a club would be open on a Sunday.

“Yeah it’s closed Monday and Tuesdays. Believe me; I go there all the time.” Lydia would know. She looks the big partier.

“Well let’s go!” Eve grabs my hand and leads us all away from the slow dancers. I’m ready to get out of here and let loose away from Dean and his date.

Maybe I should find Samuel and invite him along. He must be around here somewhere…

I take a quick look around while Eve is beside me giggling with her friends over how our lavish clothes won’t fit in at Black Velvet. I don’t see Samuel anywhere and decide it’s for the best. I have Eve and she’s all I really need right now.