Chapter 11

I woke up and I felt a wet cloth on my head. I took it off as I sat up on the bed and put the cloth on the bedside table. The door opened and Maria walked in with a tray.

"Oh miss you are awake. I brought you some soup and your medicines." She said she placed the breakfast next to me.

"Thank you." I said.

"You almost gave me a fright miss when I heard from Mr. Black that you were sick. You shouldn't sleep in the rain like you did. You would have really got very badly sick." She scolded me without raising her voice. I bit my lip as I felt the tears come out.

"Oh miss. I am sorry I shouldn't have scolded you like that." She said.

"No. You just remind me of my grandma. It is fine." I said as I cried. She came and sat on the bed as she hugged me. I sobbed on her shoulder. She said soothing words and patted my head and calmed me down.

She wiped the tears of cheeks and kissed my forehead.

"Have soup and get well soon. Mrs. Black." She said.

"Please call me Diana." I said.

"Well I'll come back later on to check up on you Diana." She said and gave me a smile.

Her words rung in my ear, I was Mrs. Black. The devil's wife, forced into marriage by a contract and I was an asset. A fucking useless asset he would keep locked away till he had to show me off like a trophy.

The entire day I rested and I ate my food. I never went down for dinner but, I did I eat my dinner. I was feeling happy that I was finally able to eat. It was around 10 at night and I walked into the kitchen. I saw Maria about to walk out.

"Diana do you need anything else to eat? Should I make you something?" Maria asked.

"No. Has Stefan come back home?" I asked.

"Yes. He will be in his study but, I don't think you should go in there. You should rest." She said. I wondered why she said that. But, I just smiled at her and walked back into my room. I tried to sleep but, I was not able to. I got up and went around the house I saw a room with the light on. It must have been his study. I knocked on the door but, I got no answer. I opened the door slowly and peeped in. I saw Stefan standing between a girl only in her thong. I froze.

His eyes met mine. He looked angry.

"Don't you knock?" he asked.

"Uhm. I am sorry. I did but, I got no response so I thought..." I said as I turned around and looked at the floor.

"What do you want?" he asked.

"Nothing. I can ask that tomorrow." I said and walked off. I ran off to my room. I wanted to thank him and get to know what were his rules he wanted to talk about the rules the night we landed. I went to bed and got under it. I stayed awake until sleep took over.

The next morning when I woke up I walked down to the kitchen. It was still early. It was 6 in the morning and I was on my way to the kitchen. I heard a door open to my left and saw a girl leave with Stefan following behind her. She turned around and kissed him. After they stepped back from one another his eyes met mine once again. I looked away and walked into the kitchen hoping he wouldn't follow. I was lucky and he didn't. I made myself some tea. Maria came in shortly after.

"Diana. You could have woken me up. I would have made you your tea." She said.

"No, it is quite alright. I thought I would just walk around and get on my feet a little." I said.

Shortly after Stefan walked in. He looked at me and I looked away. Maria served him his breakfast.

"Thank you Maria. Could leave us alone?" Stefan asked.

"Yes sir." She said as she walked off.

There was uncomfortable silence in the room.

"I am late for work, but I will talk to you in the evening when I come back." He said as he got up and was about to leave.

"Stefan?" I asked and he stopped and turned around to look back at me.

"What time will you come back?" I asked.

"I will back by 8." He said. I nodded my head and he walked off.

I went to my room and got dressed in a simple short white top with black sweatpants. Maria showed me the entire house. Excluding Stefan's room and two other rooms of his. She said there was a basement that was off limits as well. She showed me the garden, the dinning room, the living room, the indoor pool. He even had a beautiful library and home theatre. The best place I felt was the balcony. I sat and saw the sunset.

"Diana it is nearly 8. Would you like to eat?" Maria asked me.

"No. I think I will wait for Stefan." I said.

I sat until the sky turned dark. The light had gone and it was 8: 30 and there was no sign of Stefan. I sat in the living room waiting for him to come. I browsed my phone and read some magazines. It was nearly 2 am now. I was wondering why he had not come yet. I looking out the window as I felt a little sleepy but, then I heard the front door open. I walked towards the hallway and saw Stefan going into his room. I walked in the kitchen and went to the fridge to remove the dinner. I heated up some for him.

"What are you doing so late?" Stefan asked looking a little shocked that I was still awake.

"You told me this morning you would come and talk to me at 8 but, you didn't come so I waited." I said as I put the food on the table for him.

"Thank you." He said. He began eating as I sat opposite to him.

"Have you eaten?" he asked.

"No, I was waiting for you." I said.

"Well, I am here and you are not eating." He said. I nodded my head and heated my portion of the food as well. I was about to sit opposite him when, "Sit next to me." He said. I hesitated but, I sat down next to him. We finished our dinner in silence and I put the dishes in the dishwasher after we ate. Stefan had gone and was now sitting in the living room. I walked in and sat not too close to him.

"I have to tell you the rules you have to follow." He said as he looked at me. I nodded my head.

"Rule one: You will never disobey me.
Rule two: You will never disrespect me.
Rule three: You will do as I say when I say it no matter what.
Rule four: You will never resist my orders.
Rule five: You will never leave this house without my knowledge.
Rule six: You can never be unfaithful to me.
Rule seven: You will not work until I grant you permission.
Rule eight: You will never tell anyone about the rules.
Rule nine: You will be next to me at all times if we are out.
Rule ten: You will not break any of these rules if you want to live." He said.

"I understand. I do have a few questions." I said as I clenched my teeth in anger of how all the rules made me feel like a fucking prisoner.

"What?" he asked.

"When will I be able leave this marriage?" I asked.

"When your fathers pay me you know that." He said.

"Why do I have to be your slave?" I asked. His jaw clenched.

"You are an asset. A leverage." He said.

"Don't you think I know that. If I am leverage to you I don't want to be. I don't want to sit idle. Don't you think the world will be suspicious about the way I do nothing but, sit home and come out when I have to come out to accompany you to events. I would like at least some work. Please. I beg you." I said as I sniffed.

"I will think about it and tell you." He said as he got up and left. I sat there in the living room sobbing until I fell asleep. I regret my situation. I want to leave and be free of this misery.