six

Edora

I thought I'd feel better now that Luella and Albie are safe with me but for the past twelve hours, I've been questioning everything; questioning if it was actually the right thing to do, questioning if it was the best thing for the children and if it was actually for the children.

Laying in bed, I just kept remembering how distraught Harry was and how he sobbed for me to bring his children back and it made me feel so sick. It wasn't easy to be driven away from him with his children. Infact, I had cried with them in the back of the police car but it had to be done. Something needed to be done. If nothing further happens, I just hope this has opened Harry's eyes to his neglect. I know he loves them with his whole being, he just doesn't have his priorities straight.

There's a good chance that Luella and Albie will go back to Harry today and I'm okay with that. It takes a lot for social services to permanently remove children from their legal guardian so it's expected. There's also a good chance that what happened would be deemed as an 'accident' and I'll be made out to be crazy so in the early morning, I had to remind myself that I'd rather have been safe and got the children away than be sorry for not saying anything and attending a funeral.

I did the right thing.

Luella and Albie had both packed an overnight bag each, Asher having followed us in the car to take them inside with an officer. I wasn't allowed in at Harry's request. We had then sat at the police station for a total of four hours whilst they checked over my documents, checking that what I was saying was true, before they had taken me back to my apartment with two sleepy children.

Neither of them had actually fallen asleep though but they were quiet. They wouldn't talk, not even Luella and she always had something to say. Albie practically stayed attached to my hip, crying whenever I'd put him down and Luella was always at my side. I tried to pee and they both sat outside of the bathroom, Albie crying and Luella sitting patiently, comforting her brother.

I had fed them before deciding to try and bathe them - try being the key word. Albie saw the water in the bath and immediately burst out into a puddle of tears. He refused to get in, and understandably so. He's fucking terrified. I had to beg him and reassure him to have a drink when he exhausted himself from crying. Then, because Albie was crying over the bath, so did Luella and she deemed it unsafe so they then got changed into their pajamas and I tucked them into the bed in my guest bedroom.

The bed was a little too high for two toddlers so every cushion I own was on the floor surrounding the bed and wedged to the side of their little bodies. I sat between them and read them a story until both of them eventually drifted off, a child tucked into either side of my body. Whenever I tried to move away, one of them would start to whine so I stayed in bed until the deep sleep hit them and they were snoring away.

I moved into my bedroom, showered and changed into some bed shorts and an oversized t-shirt. It was only ten in the evening, and whilst events of that day were still fresh in my mind, I decided I'd write up the draft of my official statement of what I had witnessed and anything else I wanted to say regarding the situation. I felt like I was finished dealing with the situation but the second my pen hit the paper, I couldn't stop.

I recalled every single event of today and the main points of the past six months of caring for the children. I then got to thinking about the night we met in Vegas before everything had gone to shit. He had snorted a line of cocaine and had admitted it to me. I begin to question if he was that happy, kind and caring person because of the drugs or if that's actually who he is.

It then hit me that he was snorting cocaine.

Although it has no relevance to this situation, I write it down in my draft just in case it becomes relevant later and needs to be discussed. I'm almost certain that Harry wouldn't use such horrific drugs around his children but I can't be too careful.