fifty two

Harry

We get back to the house at two minutes to four - cutting it very very fine.

We went to visit Edora and Dulcie after we ate our ice cream and by 'we', I mean me. The drive to the hospital was really just me debating if letting them see either of them was a good idea and ultimately it was decided that it wouldn't be.

Edora isn't Edora right now and I think the twins seeing her in the condition she is in will only scare and traumatise them even more. They already have so much to process and become familiar with so to add an image of their mum on life support would've been too much. Then I decided that I didn't want them to meet Dulcie, not only because I still want Edora to meet her before anyone else, but because I want Edora to witness the moment all of our children meet for the first time - and it will happen so I've kept them away.

Understandably so, the twins didn't want to leave me so I did take them to the hospital with me. Thankfully, their emotions from the day they've just had, had exhausted them so I had stayed with them as they drifted off to sleep and then left them outside Edora's room with Mum, Trixie and Asher whilst I visited Edora.

I had an hour of time for both my girls before I had no choice but to leave.

A small part of me had hoped that Edora would've woken when I told her that I got the twins back, that they're ours again, but nothing happened. Not a twitch of his fingers, not a slightly increased heartbeat - nothing changed. Edora still laid in that bed, still and unable to wake.

"I didn't give up on them, Honey." I had whispered, trying to keep my tears at bay. "They're just as much yours as they are mine, you know that right? No matter what happens from here, Lula and Albie are your children and when you are well enough and if you want to, I want you to sign for parental rights - legally adopt them, join our family. They love you so much...You have three children waiting for you so I really do need you to wake up now, Edora."

I then sucked in a deep breath to try and keep myself calm as the next thought passes my mind and I try to make peace with it. It's minutes before I spoke again.

"But also know that if you feel like you can't go on, like it's your time to go, it's okay. We'll be okay." And I couldn't even get out all of what I wanted to say before my head was collapsing onto the bed, holding her hand close to my chest, crying like there's no tomorrow. "We'll be safe." I added and squeezed her hand. "Me, Lula, Albie and Dulcie will be okay. Don't feel like you have to stay if you think it's your time to go. If you're in pain, you're allowed to go."

I spent the whole hour with her, thanking her for her letter and her kind words, updating her on everything that had happened today before I kissed her forehead and promised her I'll be back tomorrow.

I didn't think my day would get any better until I saw Dulcie. She was wide awake when I approached her, hands by her head, feet pressed together, smacking her lips together and when she saw me her eyes widened. She looked bigger than when I last saw her which is crazy because it had been less than twenty four hours but I was convinced she'd grown at least a centimetre or two.

"Hi Honeybee." I whispered a placed my finger into her grabby hand. "I have good news."

I then proceeded to tell her all about how I have her siblings back and how excited they are to meet her. We tried a bottle again and thankfully, she managed to drink more than she had yesterday. Megan said that by the end of the week she's sure she won't even need the feeding tube anymore. She's doing so well and whilst I'm so proud of her, I can't help but wish Edora was awake to see it all.

Dulcie had fallen asleep cuddled into my chest after I gently sang to her - the same song I have always sung to the twins. Make you feel my love by Adele. I'd like to think a part of her remembered it from when I sung to her whilst she was still in the womb because she settled almost immediately. When it was time to go, I gently placed her back into her incubator, readjusted her nasal cannula and pressed a kiss to her tiny hand before going back to my other tiny humans.