twenty two

Edora

Harry drove us home.

I had offered to drive being fearful that the few injuries to his face would affect his driving but he insisted he was okay. I just think he was too scared to face the twins in such a state and that's okay. I'd rather he had collected himself than snap at them both.

He did, however, request I sit in the back of the car with them and make sure they're okay. He asks this of me with tears in his eyes, the guilt of his actions cleary getting the better of him. I just wanted to take him into my arms and apologise over and over again but instead, I nodded my head and stuck myself between the both of them.

Harry kept the disney music on all the way home and I read to the twins until the eventually drifted off to sleep. Whilst Lula slept, I took multiple pictures of her bruising arm just in case Harry wanted to build a case against my dad. I kissed both of their heads before I too shut my eyes.

I didn't sleep. My head was racing, pounding, aching as I recounted all of the events that lead up to the fight, to the confession. Very few words are spoken between me and Harry but every so often, he'd clear his throat to grab my attention and I'd peer over at him.

"Are you okay?" He'd ask and each time, I'd nod my head to try and reassure him but each time I did this, he wouldn't buy it; but before he could respond, I'd flip the question on him and he'd stay quiet.

When Harry finally pulls up to his house, it's getting close to seven in the evening. We each gently unstrap a child from a car seat, hold them to our chests before carrying them upstairs.

Very slowly, both of the twins begin to wake up and Harry does everything he can to stop both of them from seeing the state he's in. He keeps his hand on the back of Lula's head to keep her pressed to him and he walks ahead of me so Albie can't get a glance.

"I'm hungry." Lula quietly complains as Harry flicks on the light to her bedroom.

A quiet chuckle rumbles in his chest.

"What would you like to eat, lovebug?" He asks and plays with her hair.

She hums in thought.

"Just some strawberries please."

"You don't want anything else?"

She shakes her head. "Nope."

"Okay, lovebug. I can do that."

"I'm happy to do that if you want." I quickly interject, wanting to help out in any way I can.

Harry looks over at where me and Albie stand in the doorway. He gives me a weak smile but shakes his head.

"Do you mind getting them ready for bed? I need to clean myself up." He softly asks, looking as though it physically pained him to ask for any kind of help.

I nod my head. "Of course."

"They've had a bath today so don't worry about that, I'll get them washed in the morning." He tells me as he approaches me and Albie. He leans down to press a kiss to the top of his head. "Do you want anything to eat, little love?"

Unlike Lula, Albie has hardly woken from the nap he took so barely responds when Harry asks. He gives his head the tiniest of shakes before he lets out a yawn of exhaustion.

Harry looks as though he wants to cook for Albie anyway so he doesn't get hungry in the night but leaves it. He kisses Albie's head again before kissing Lula.

"I love you both so much. I hope you have sweet, sweet, sweet dreams." He tells them both before kissing them both again, sets Lula down on her bed and leaves the room before she can get a look at his face.