thirty one

cw: emetophobia

19 WEEKS PREGNANT

Harry

"Mr. Styles. It's nice to see you again."

My lawyer greets me at the foyer of this Las Vegas law firm, nothing but a smile on his face and an outstretched hand asking for me to shake. I stare back at him with nothing to say as I refrain from slapping the smile off of his face -I know he's about to give me bad news, there's no reason for him to be smiling like an absolute dickhead.

I rub against the stubble on my chin, making no effort to greet him back.

"Can we just get this over with?" I ask instead and he retracts his hand.

"Yes, of course." He says before his eyes look me up and down. He nervously scratches the back of his neck. "Are you wearing that?"

I frown at him and look down at my outfit; black trousers and a white muscle fit t-shirt that reads 'hollywood sound'. Since walking into the building, I've pushed my yellow sunglasses on top of my head, holding my hair back. As I only intend to be here for a few short hours, I've just got a small carry-on bag.

"What's wrong with this?" I nonchalantly question and watch John's lips twitch as he fonds the right words to say.

"You're meeting with attorneys. This isn't exactly the correct attire."

"You want me to put on a suit?"

"Yeah, actually."

I roll my eyes and push past him, heading in the direction of the lifts. "Go fuck yourself."

John chases after me.

"Harry, it is really important that you make a good first impression okay? First impressions mean the most, especially in cases like these." He tells me, almost pleading for me to listen to him.

After a little mental debate, I stop and turn around to face him.

"If I go to my apartment now, we'll be late. That's already a bad impression."

"I'll tell them you're stuck in traffic. Just go."

Stepping into my Vegas apartment, I have no moment to stand around and dwell. The last time I was in here was the night Edora and I got married, the morning when I had ruthlessly kicked her out. The memory of my behaviour that morning pulls at my heart so I ignore it and just find an old suit to wear. I have other things to worry about although she is still very much on my own.

I helped Edora clean up last night. I didn't feel like I had to but I wanted to. I helped her into the bathroom, ran her a bath and grabbed some fresh clothes for her. A part of me wanted to stay there with her but I knew that wouldn't be appropriate so instead, I took her wet clothes downstairs. It was then that I find myself grinning when I checked the pockets to make sure they were empty - she brought back my rings. After everything, she still had the heart to slip them in her pocket and bring them to me.

I slipped them all back on and went to reheat our food. I hate to admit it but the honey and noodles tasted amazing. We sat in bed, eating food and watching tv with very minimal conversation. I found that as the minutes passed, she somehow managed to get closer and closer to me until eventually, she was cuddled up to me and sleeping on my shoulder.

For a good hour, I held her in my arms and just watched her as she slept. I played with her hair and kept her wrapped up, enjoying watching her in a state of peace but eventually, I pulled myself away and left her be. I couldn't sleep as I pondered on what could happen today so instead, I busied myself with more work and when six am came around, I found myself back in my bedroom to grab my clothes. Somehow, I had managed to wake Edora from all of my rummaging and she was quick to try and escape.