seventeen

Edora

"He's really good with his kids." My mom says, gently nudging me to grab my attention from where I was searching the picnic basket for a cold drink. It's getting really warm now as we move deeper into the summer and I find myself becoming parched especially as I can't really wear my summer clothes right now.

I hum under my breath and when I go back to looking for my bottle, she's nudging me again and insisting I look where she's pointing.

On the opposite side of the park, Harry is rummaging through bushes with Lula and Albie in search for a spider. She was pretty insistent on the way here that she was going to find one; and Harry barely got to greet my parents before his children were dragging him away. Lula and Albie didn't even acknowledge my parents and it's probably better that way.

A small smile cracks up on my face when Harry is having to quickly grab Lula as she attempts to jump into the bush. He grabs her and sets her back on the floor, the most beautiful smile on his face.

I have to admit, seeing him with his children is incredibly endearing. He's so mean to everyone, especially me, but his children are his soft spot. He's a completely different person when he's talking to them, playing with them, when he's around them. It makes me wonder why he's so awful to everyone else.

He's even left his phone here on this picnic blanket with me. The last time we were here, he was too consumed in his phone and work calls and now he's left it here. It's been going off like crazy and he knows but he doesn't care.

It's refreshing and it has my heart skipping a beat. This is the kind of love these children deserved all along and I'm glad they're receiving it now.

"Yeah..." I mumble, not even wanting to take my eyes off of the heartwarming moment. "He really is."

My mum sucks in a deep breath before she's passing me the water bottle I was looking for, forcing me to look away to thank her.

"Remind me again why you're keeping your relationship a secret from the kids." Mum then says as I'm cracking open the lid to my bottle.

I feel my hands begin to get clammy as I prepare myself to speak the lie.

"We don't want to confuse them." I simply say, which of course leads to a comment from my dad who sits beside my mother with a plate full of food.

"They wouldn't be confused if they had a present mother."

I grimace and snap my head to look at him.

"And why is her decision to leave Harry's fault?" I question, making him look away from the park and at me.

He raises an eyebrow.

"I never said that and even if I did, it doesn't change the fact that those children deserve a present mother." He confidently responds, and he's right, they do deserve a mother but not for the same reasons he's thinking of.

Before I can snap at him, my mum is patting my thigh and asking me to pass her some chips as a distraction.

"I think you'd be a good mom for them, Edora." She casually comments, not looking at me as she speaks. "Given the chance, you'd be amazing."

"I know I would." I bluntly respond, knowing that if I were to disagree with my mom, she would go on about how I'm literally qualified to work with children so I'd be the best - although that's not the case. "But these are Harry's children and if he wants to keep it from them a little longer, then that's fine."

"They wouldn't be confused if you just explain it to them." Mom then counteracts and it has me rolling my eyes.

"Mom, it's Harry's decision."