forty eight

tw: mentions of suicide/suicidal thoughts

last obscenely long chapter, i promise.

again, i'm not a lawyer and know near to nothing about the law and court so if anything is wrong, mind your business. for the purpose of this FICTIONAL story, it's correct. thanks.

********

No perspective

Harry has been prepared for this moment. He's had the better part of two years to emotionally prepare for this day and a long four days to physically prepare himself; and yet, nothing could've prepared him for the looks he would receive from those he loves and those he doesn't as he walks into the courtroom.

Harry has always carried himself with confidence. He knows who he is and who he isn't - he is innocent and he isn't a murderer; and yet, he questioned himself under the intense stares of the courtroom. As someone who always walks with their head held high, Harry felt cowardly as he looked down at his feet but that was only after his eyes glazed over all those he loves; Asher, Trixie and then Edora.

Nothing could've prepared him for the look on Edora's face.

Harry sits down in front of the court, the jurors on his left, Nola on his right, the judge in front of him. He adjusts his black blazer before hiding his shaking hands in his lap.

He's rehearsed every lie. He's practiced every facial expression when speaking the small fib to ensure he comes across genuine. Harry's prepared an answer for every question he could possibly be asked. He's prepared.

Everything comes down to this moment. His future is in the hands of the jurors, Nola and himself. His future depends on himself and his ability to lie one last time.

He promises himself that if he gets out of this, this is the last time a lie will ever leave his lips. He's sure of it.

"Court is now in session. Please stand."

Everyone rises to their feet. The judge walks in. She sits down before speaking to the court. She welcomes everyone, thanks them for their time before introducing the case to everyone. First degree murder. The Attwood's stare Harry down waiting for a guilty look to slip onto his face but Harry keeps his composure. He's not guilty and he won't present himself as such.

Harry won't admit it but the Attwood's believing he would do something like this with such malicious intent hurts him. Brielle and Xavier were like a second family to him. He had told Bexley that Lula and Albie's middle names should be there's to honour them. He loved them from the first breath his took right up until now. He'll always love them.

Harry will never forget the look of disgust on their faces when he tried to explain to them what had happened when this all started. He told them it was what Bexley wanted, that it wasn't murder, that he can give an explaination to every question they may have and apologised for lying but they just didn't want to hear it. They were grieving parents who had the idea planted in their heads that their baby girl was murdered and they didn't want to be told otherwise. They had evidence that made Harry look guilty of murdering her with malicious intent.

The Attwood's don't believe this was a mercy killing. With every bone in their body, they believe Harry planned Bexley's death and killed her out of hate, not love; which is why the charge is as heavy as it is. They refused to fight for anything other than murder in the first degree and the evidence they have supports that charge.

The Attwood's think Harry is a cold blooded killer.

"Mr Styles isn't a cold blooded killer." Nola speaks loud and clear to the jury, introducing the case and projecting Harry's innocence. "We're here today based on assumptions made by other people who are depicting Mr. Styles to be a murderer. This case against the defendant isn't built on facts, it isn't built on evidence, it has purely been based around assumptions. Growing up, we've all heard the phrase  'Don't assume the worst of another person's intentions' once or twice; that's something I want you to remember during this trial. Do not assume the worst of Mr Styles' intentions. Bexley Attwood's death was not a direct consequence of his actions. He is not guilty of the crime he's being accused of. Bexley Attwood's blood is not on his hands."