twenty one

Edora

"You're in the happiest place on earth, you can at least try to smile." I mumble to Harry as we walk side by side. His hands tightly grip onto the stroller as we manoeuvre around the crowds, Luella and Albie wide eyed as they take everything in. He glances down at me through his sunglasses and gives me the fakest smile he can muster up.

He's been miserable since agreeing to come today - which by the way, he didn't have to do. After escaping the dinner and before driving home, I made it very clear to him that neither himself or his children had to come. I gave him an out, told him that I can tell my parents he felt impolite to say no and he's not comfortable with the idea then he doesn't have to see them again - they leave tomorrow; but he just grumbled and told me he'd pick me up at eight to make the journey together.

I was very surprised when I got into the car this morning and everyone was dressed accordingly. Luella wears a light washed blue denim pinafore dress that has embroidered patches of Mickey Mouse on the fabric with a plain white t-shirt underneath it. On her feet are some white high tops and her hair is tied back into two little pigtails with red and white spotty bows. Albie wears denim overalls with embroidered toy story characters across the front and down the legs with a plain white t-shirt. He has some white chelsea boots on his feet and also has a red and white spotty bow in his hair.

I was even more surprised when I turned to Harry and saw him wearing a blue t-shirt with Mickey Mouse printed onto it with a pair of baggy blue jeans ripped at the knees and his dirty, blue and white checkered vans. When he saw me observing, he just mumbled "don't" under his breath and pulled away from my apartment.

It was Albie who noticed my outfit when we got out of the car. He smiled when he realised we were both wearing denim overalls and started to show me all the characters on his overalls so I did the same. I wear light washed, oversized denim overalls (to hide the little bump) which have the Winnie the Pooh characters on the front pockets, honeybee's on the back right pocket and a pot of honey on the left. Beneath the overalls I wear a red short sleeved t-shirt with my red converse.

"I love your overalls so much, Albie!" I gasped when he finished showing me all his characters, naming them one by one; Woody, Buzz, Jesse, Bullseye, Rex...the list goes on.

Harry then picked Albie up from in front of me and placed him in the stroller whilst mumbling "They're dungarees."

My parents arrived in their own car minutes later wearing disney t-shirts themselves, greeting us with hugs and friendly handshakes before we all walked into the park which is how we got here - in the disney store. It seemed incredibly important and mandatory to buy some Mickey and Minnie ears to wear for the day.

"Daddy, these ones please!" Albie exclaims and points to a glittery silver pair of ears, Minnie's bow being gold glitter with white spots.

As I'm closest, I take them off of the shelf and hand them to Albie. At the same time he's putting them on, my Dad is picking up the original Mickey ears and trying to hand them to Albie instead.

"What about these ones?" He asks Albie to which he just grimaces at my dad and proceeds to put on the Minnie ears. "But those ones are for girls."

Harry is immediately taking the Mickey ears from my dad and putting them back on the shelf.

"If he wants those ones, he can have those ones." He bites, clearly pissed off that my dad would try to tell his son differently.

It's pissed me off too. Albie is three, he should be able to enjoy whatever he wants to without having grown men telling him no.

My dad goes to retaliate but Harry just ignores him, wipes his annoyed look from his face and smiles down at Lula.

"Which ears would you like, lovebug?"