sixteen

Edora

The second I walk into Harry's house, my smug smirk falters at the sound of two children screaming at the top of their lungs. I had every intention of walking in here and teasing Harry about what happened last night but it's briefly washed away when I'm dropping my bag and following the distressed screams to the kitchen.

Luella is sitting on the kitchen floor, red in the face, tears streaming down her cheeks, screaming and crying with everything she has. Albie sobs and sobs, also red in the face, attached to his fathers leg, desperately trying to get his attention as Harry stands at the kitchen counter, grey joggers and white t-shirt on, attempting to make everyone breakfast. His lips are pressed into a tight line, clearly trying to keep his calm as he's chopping up strawberries.

"Albie, please. I'll cuddle you in one minute just please get off of my leg." He pleads with his son, sounding frustrated - on the verge of tears even. "Go play with your sister."

Albie shakes his head.

"Want you." He cries, and now that he has Harry's attention, he climbs off of his leg and looks up at him, arms above him, fingers curling into his palms. He wants to be picked up.

"I'm making breakfast, okay? You can have all the cuddles you want when I'm done."

And just like that, Harry is turning back to face the chopping board but doesn't even manage to pick up the knife before he hangs his head in shame and drops the knife back onto the counter. He spins back around to look at both of his children, stress evidently on his face, before he's pressing the heels of his palms to his eyes. With a groan, he places his hands on his hips.

"Guys, please stop crying. I'm doing my best, okay? Let's all just take a breath."

Of course he is ignored.

When both kids keep screaming, Harry is sighing and turning back around. He grips the counter so tight that his knuckles turn white and he drops his chin to his chest. He's clearly stressed and, me being empathetic, I feel for him. He's doing this on his own and he sounds so defeated however, that isn't going to stop me from being annoying. Now that I know this is just a regular toddler meltdown and nothing to worry about, I have every intention to still wind him up.

With that being said, I don't like just standing around and watching Harry struggle or watching the twins be so upset especially when there's a solution but I also won't help. I'm not going to step in unless Harry asks for my help, which probably won't happen any time soon.

"Well everyone is happy in here today." I announce and walk into the kitchen.

Harry groans before he's snapping his head to look at me with an emotionless expression. He's then standing himself up so he's not hunched over the counter and resumes what he was doing - acting as if he knows what he's doing.

"Go away." He mumbles and chucks the strawberries into a little red bowl.

I give him my most sarcastic smile as I open the fridge and take out a fresh bottle of water.

"I love seeing you so happy." I bitterly respond and crack open the bottle to take a sip.

"I'd be better if you weren't here." He responds and it makes me raise an eyebrow at him before flicking my gaze to his two screaming children.

"Sure you would, bud." I say and welcome myself to sit on the bar stool seat on one of the sides of the island counter. "If you need any help, you just let me know."

This seems to irritate Harry entirely because he's dropping the knife onto the counter, turning around to look me in the eye as he speaks. He's furious, fists clenched beside him, nostrils flared, eyes blaring.