forty seven

i am once again making it known that i am NOT a lawyer nor do i know very much about law/courts/trials. i have researched a lot for this book but even i know that will only get me so far and it all depends on my own interpretation of the information i've read. if anything is factual incorrect in this book regarding law, it's simply not. this story is purely fiction and it will not harm anyone if it's wrong lol pretend it's right and go with it. cheers!

*******

Edora

2 WEEKS LATER (31 WEEKS PREGNANT)

It's quite scary how you can wake up one day with a smile on your face, not knowing that the day is about to become the worst of your life. I mean, we're completely oblivious to it. I waddled downstairs to Harry and the twins making necklaces and bracelets, thinking that waking up to that sight is something I could get used to; and now, for the past fourteen days, I've waddled downstairs to an entirely empty house and a sickening feeling I wish I could get rid of.

Our happiness is so delicate. One wrong move, it crumbles. Say one wrong thing, it washes away. I've tried to pinpoint the exact thing that I did wrong to deserve such a fate. Is this karma for sneaking out of the house at sixteen to have sex with my boyfriend at the time? Was this fate set in stone from the moment I smoked my first cigarette and set off the smoke alarm? From when I tried drugs for the first time? From when I swore back at my parents? What did I do to deserve this?

These are questions I kept asking myself in the first few hours of being in the house alone. No Harry. No Lula and no Albie. It was so quiet, all I could do was think and question everything but then, something snapped inside of me.

I realised that it was my job to undo this mess.

I needed to call Nola.

I needed to find out where the twins had been taken.

I needed to figure out why Harry was arrested and what we can do to get him out.

I was the only person left to do this so I simply made myself numb to it. A fresh wound had been sliced open in my chest and instead of feeling it and sewing it back together, I slapped a bandaid over it and hoped a distraction would stop me from bleeding out. I know it's only a temporary fix but not feeling it all has helped me get through the days. They may all be a blur but I'm surviving and that's all I need for now. It's safer this way.

I'm responsible for the life of our unborn child. Stressing out the baby leads to preterm labour. Major breakdowns lead to preterm labour. Anything but being calm and ignoring the ache in my chest leads to a spike in my blood pressure and leads to preterm labour. I'll react when it's safe to do so, even if that's two months from now.

The last time I cried was fourteen days ago. Trixie found me on the concrete floor and picked me back up. She held me for all those hours until the initial snap and when I was ready to get back up, she got back up with me. I called Nola whilst Trixie began to pack up all of Bexley's things back into their boxes. Whilst I spoke to Nola about the twins, Trixie was making a list of every foster care home in Los Angeles. When I needed a moment, she gave me space. When I craved a bit of reassurance, she gave it to me.

For fourteen days, Trixie has been by my side.

Trixie and Asher actually.

Turns out, he was none the wiser about Harry's truth and everything that was going on. He and Harry found each other when he moved to L.A. Harry was hiring for pleasing. He had dreams about expanding the business and Asher is the only person who applied and had faith in him. Asher considered Bexley a good friend so to have found all of this out, it was a hard pill to swallow. What made it even harder was that he found out about the twins being taken and Harry being arrested when the news finally hit the media. Neither Trixie or I call him quick enough so on day one, he was slamming his fist against the door in tears.