Chapter 5

LUCA'S POV

There was an irritating silence as we all shuffled our feet across uneven paving. The entire area was much like that of a seaside resort... you know the ones, local shops, bars, souvenir shops... so all that shit. It was all really dead, if you excuse the pun... normally it'd be bursting with people. I glanced to my left and discreetly looked at Ralph... I often wonder why we're friends, exactly. I mean we're so different. I'm pretty sure he'd abandon me given half the chance. He'll probably throw me overboard when we set sail. Oh well, as long as he throws me a rubber ring or something because I can't swim.
I lowered my head as we came to a carpark full of badly parked cars, some burnt out others smashed up... papers everywhere, blood smeared across the far wall of a large superstore. This is when I had to stop, blinded by another vision of a falling tree. It actually looked familiar... where is that?
"No wait, Wesley, Noah stop." Ralph said just before they walked into a store the huge tree fell on it. He sighed and looked down at me then looked away. Noah turned to us and smiled at Ralph.
"Hey, not bad. Thanks, you probably just saved our lives." I would have told him that it had been my vision first but... I hate being praised anyway. Besides, I'm certain Ralph wouldn't mind having a compliment from Noah. I headed toward the store and turned on them all.
"So, I'm going inside now to see what I can find to eat... anyone else?"
Ralph just ignored Noah and followed me inside. Noah called in after us, his tone polite.
"Wesley and I will head inside after you guys, we'll keep watch whilst you have look around."
"Aren't you generous." I muttered, more to myself than anyone else. I stood over some broken glass and door frame, then glanced around. I whistled.
"What a mess." Inclining my head I saw something in the distance and as soon as I realised it was my favourite thing in the world, I ran for it.
"M&Ms?" Ralph asked behind me when I picked them up, "Those are amazing, I missed chocolate, and all of the other real food." He smiled at me. I huddled the packet to me and glared.
"Get your own, these are mine. I found them first." I scanned the area of chocolates and candies scattered about the floor and almost dove for some mint chocolate. "Oh my god, I've not seen this in ages! Here, hold this." I threw the packet at him and rummaged through the stash with child-like eyes.
He caught them and smiled, "You're adorable you know that?" He asked kindly. I stood up with an arm full of different varieties and smirked.
"This sort of thing always makes me happy. It's sweet stuff, I love sweet stuff. And the fact that it's all FREE is even better. I'm taking the lot. Ah... why couldn't Finlay give me more arms?" I looked at the stash in my arms and then the mound on the floor... so not fair. I pouted.
Ralph walked over and picked up a backpack, "Here, put the sweets in here."
Wesley came up to us, "mmm. I love chocolate." A smile spread across his face, "May I please have one?" He asked innocently his eyes changing to white. I hugged them closer to me for a moment. Okay first of all, this isn't a selfish or spoilt thing... this is because sweets are normal, and I need a little bit of normal right now. However... I glanced back at Wesley and thought... grr, why the hell must he have that look?
"Fine, here." I held out my arms with the stuff inside, not having chance to place it in the backpack yet.
"yay! chocolate!" Wesley smiled and kissed my cheek , "You're my new bestest friend!" I lowered my arms slightly, not really knowing what to say. Aside from Ralph, nobody even wanted to talk to me...
"Chill out, it's just chocolate." I sighed in the end, and placed them in his arms. "I'm checking out the rest of the store, they might have electrics in here and... no, nevermind. Be right back." I walked around the wall which separated frozen from confectionary, although why would we want frozen food? Either way I have to remove myself from the sweets or I may end up giggling.
"So what music do you like?" Wesley came up behind me. I startled and glanced over the music collection again.
"I'm not sure... I used to play but... so anyway, nevermind. What about you?"
Wesley smiled and looked through the Cds, "I like a lot of music, besides country, just ew." He smiled at me. I tried to concentrate on the CD's and found one that seemed familiar... I reached out for it and showed him.
"I guess this one. It kinda stood out, so it might mean something."
"Green Day, They're good. I like that kind of music." Wesley smiled then walked over and opened a Cd player and found batteries and put them together. He took the cd out of my hand and put it in the player then put headphones
on my head and pressed play. "There. You know you are kind of cute." It took a while but finally my brain caught up with what he'd just said, and I answered slightly confused.
"Huh?... um, thank you I think. I'm not too sure that Noah would approve of your comment though."
Wesley shrugged like he didn't care that much,and smiled slightly, 'maybe, but he can be a big baby at times too.' Wesley sent.
'So can I.' I held on tight to the CD case, then turned my back and scanned the rack of music some more.