EPISODE 1

BATTLE OF FATE

SOLELY WRITTEN BY EWATOMI ABIODUN

EPISODE 1

No matter how I try to look strong outside, no matter how I tried to cover up the pain, no matter how I didn't let my inner darkness consume me. It's inevitable not to think about it sometimes. It's inevitable not to have that one moment of weakness. It's inevitable not to cry and brood over it sometimes. Here I am in the bar, wallowing in self-pity as I gulp down my drink. I decided to come to this new bar because I am very popular in every bar and club in every region of Lagos and it's inevitable not to see my lavish buddies here and there and this are times I need my personal space even though I am sure it won't be long before I am recognize here. I just need some alone time to think about my life and I don't want them to see me in this state.

I am known as someone who lives life like no tomorrow but what can I do if that is the only reason I have got to know that I am still alive. I spend every day as if it is my last day on earth because my time on earth is being numbered so why not live life to the fullness before I am out of this world.

I was busy minding my own business when I suddenly felt someone smack my head from behind. I quickly turned around to see who the hell it's and I came face to face with a drunken lady. Is she one of my flings? I try to recollect because I have many one-night stands with a lot of women and I hardly recognize them afterward. Why would she smack me even if she's one of my flings?

" You.. know. men are.. scum?" The drunken lady says as she staggered back a little bit.

I arched my brows trying to see where this is going. Why can't I ever have my alone time? This was the reason I don't go to my popular joints and now I still end up with some of my flings here even though I am not sure.

" Do you agree that men are scum ?" She asks again stuttering and before I knew it, she already gave me a deafening slap which blinds me for some while.

Like what the h*ll?

Why is her hand so strong like steel?

I never see this coming at all. In as much I am supposed to be angry at her for slapping me, it does make me feel happy because no one has ever slapped me before. I felt so much alive that in my twenty-eight years on earth, I was finally hitten by someone. I have always been the child that always got away with anything I do whether good or bad and it does make me sad that I was being treated differently. I was constantly reminded of the kind of person I am consciously and unconsciously by my family.

" He left me after four years". I was jolted out of my thoughts by the lady's teary voice.

" What have I done to deserve that from him? I gave him my virginity just because he couldn't do without sex. I clothed him, fed him, gave him money, spent an extra one year in the university just because of him and what did I get in the end? He told me his parents say we aren't compatible" She says and starts laughing as tears glittens in her eyes.

" The bastard broke up with me after I finally got him a job through my connection," She says and broke down in tears.

I don't know if consoling her will make her feel better or allow her to let everything out. She looks so beautiful and I wonder the kind of asshole that guy is.

" Do I look like a fool?" She asked me staring into my eyes as tears spilled uncontrollably down her eyes.

" No. you don't l" I quickly say because I was trying to dodge my beautiful face from receiving another slap.

" He says his parents can't allow him to marry from Ibadan " She scoffs in between tears.

" Why didn't he tell me from the onset? Why lead me on when he knows we won't be compatible? Why? I dished all my friends because of him. I almost got on my parent's bad side because of him and when I thought we are finally going to spend the rest of our lives together, he broke up with me with that lame excuse".