EPISODE 13

Merry Christmas to all our Christian families and happy New year in advance to everyone of us . Kindly ignore any typo errors , I will come back to edit .

BATTLE OF FATE

SOLELY WRITTEN BY EWATOMI ABIODUN

EPISODE 13

MAHNOOR'S POV

I need to thank my mum for always showering me with this prayer when I was searching for a job that says “Ise kekere, owo nla lo mari ” ( Less work, more pay is what you will see )  because that's what I am enjoying now. I only come to work, go through some mails, send them to my boss who takes forever to send them back and I am back to playing my videos games on my phone for the rest of the day sometimes I  sleep in between. I pity Eri because I can tell she's always overloaded with work. I could see how tired she was at the close of work as she hurries to go home. Even though she's overloaded with work, I still envy her because she gets to travel with her boss outside the country. I wish my boss takes his work seriously like his brother maybe I would have that privileged too.  I have never gone to the airport before talkless of entering a plane not to talk of a private jet. 

I was so engrossed in my thoughts that I didn't notice footsteps approaching. I felt a tap on my shoulder jolting me out of my thought.  I raised my head to look at the person and it was no other than Vana who was smiling down at me.

I quickly stand on my feet. "Good.. morning ..Ma " I quickly say because I heard the way she treats Eri since the Rotimi incident so I know better to thread carefully with her so she won't make my life hell here too.

" A penny for your thought," She says still smiling. " Please stop with the honorific, just call me Vana".

What's wrong with her? Why is she talking to me like we are friends before?  She has never come to my office since the day Eri has been moved and anytime I came across her, she ignores me as if I am not a person even when I greet her and I guess she was passing her hatred towards Eri to me since she knows we are close.

" What are you thinking about for you not to know when I entered?"She asks with a smile glued to her face.

" Nothing in particular, " I say picking my words carefully feigning a smile.

" Sit down please" She gestures with her hand.

" Yes, ma...Yes, Vana " I quickly correct myself.

I took my seat while she walks around my desk to stand in front of me. She kneeled to my height looking into my eyes and I feel so uncomfortable.

" I need your Help, Noor," She says and held my two hands squeezing them lightly.

I swallow my spit nervously. " What ..do ..you need for me to do for you ?".

She smiled at me. " It's just a small work and I will be so happy if you do it for me".

" Okay, Ma . What's the work ?".

She stand up and lean close to my ear as she whispered the words into my ear.

*******************************************

ERI'S POV

My eyes were glued to Teti who was staring at me with a blank expression as their mom hugged me happily. I wish I know what's going through his head with the way he gazed intently into my eyes. I had to look away unable to hold his gaze.

" I am so happy to meet you," Their mom says immediately she pulls away from me.

I had to feign a smile at the innocent woman because my mind was not at what she's saying.  Why do I always feel guilty when Teti sees me with his brother. Is it because I thought he is going to misunderstand me and read another meaning to it? Why do I always feel the need to explain myself to him?