EPISODE 7

BATTLE OF FATE

SOLELY WRITTEN BY EWATOMI ABIODUN

EPISODE 7

ERI'S POV

I just finished arranging some documents. I stood up from my seat and head towards his office to submit it. I knocked lightly on the door since he can see me through the glass. He raised his head from his computer and gesture with his hand for me to come in.

I walked in this time with my head held high because I am sure he will find something wrong with the documents not after his brother just came to talk to me. For the past two days, I have been moved here, I hardly have time for myself because I am always overloaded with work. From making his coffee every morning,  prioritizing emails and phone calls, gathering documents to prepare for meetings, Greeting visitors, and deciding if they should be able to meet with executives, coordinating travel arrangements, and a lot more. Let's not talk about Vana who makes the matter worse. Now I understand the phrase that “there's a thin line between love and hate” . I wonder how she could easily hate me for something I have no control over. Anytime Teti tells me to submit some files to her, she would always complain about it giving me more work to do before she's satisfied.

By the end of the day, I am always tired and the only thing on my mind is to go home, eat and sleep and the routine continues every day.

" Sir, these are the documents," I say and place them on the desk .

" Okay, I will go through it once am done, " He says his eyes still glued to his computer.

Sometimes, I wonder if he is a robot. He's a workaholic who doesn't understand how time works. There are some times I leave him at the office by 7 pm and yet he is still attending to some things maybe that is why he has this cold character because he hardly gives himself some rest. He always wants perfection forgetting no one can be perfect and I guess that's why he is hard on himself and others when "failure" does occur.

I can count how many staffs he has fired in just two days just because of a little error they made  in the project.  I wonder if he is always like this or something made him  this way. Why did God give people with good looks bad character? Does he even have a girlfriend because I wonder how he would treat her and have time for her? I wouldn't lie that he is a kind of a turn-on for me seeing him in a suit and busy working on his computer.

God! why is he so handsome? I say as he flexed his jaw showing his beautiful jawline. I am sure he must have broken a lot of ladies...

I was busy checking him out and daydreaming not realizing he has stopped typing on his computer looking at me.

" Let me know when you are done checking me out," He says and continues what he is doing on his computer.

His voice made me feel guilty and I didn't like that. I try to formulate a word but it seems my tongue has been tied.

" Anything else?" He raised his brows at me.

" No.sir," I say and turn to leave when I saw Vana coming in through the glass.

She pushes the door to Teti's office open and before I could say jack she already landed me a slap on my cheek. I placed my hand on my cheek and look at her giving her the look of “ What's that for”.

" Vana!" Teti call her name and this time his tone was hard. I guess he was also  surprised.

She ignores Teti and faces me ." Why do you report to Rotimi that I am mixing business and personal affairs together?"

I was about to reply her when Rotimi shows up .

" Vana ...I already told you....." Rotimi cuts his sentence short immediately he enters.

" Do you just slap her ?" He asks his tone hard and his facial expression was now kind of scary.

" Rotimi, This girl accused me wrongly," She says feigning crocodile tears.

I gave her a surprising look at how she could quickly form tears and start acting the victim like she didn't just slap me. If not for work, I would have slapped my own back regardless of whatever reason.

" I said did you just slap her ?" He half yelled at her .

" I  didn't mean to, I am just so angry that she could lie against me," She says and burst into tears. " I have shown her nothing but love since the day she starts working here and I couldn't believe she could try and paint me black in your eyes," She says and moves closer to him.

" Don't touch me! " He says to her and I could see how he was trying to control himself.

" Apologize to her " He orders.

She raises her head to look at him to be sure she heard him right. " Roti..."

He cuts her short.

" Apologize to her now!".

She looks at me not feeling remorseful. " Sorry".

" Are you satisfied ?" She turns to face him with tears streaming down her face and walked out of the office wiping her tears at the same time with her thumb.

Rotimi turns to face me " I am so sorry ...."

" It's okay " I cut him short feigning a smile and walk back to my office.

I tried to control my tears from falling immediately after I got back to my office. I think it's high time I resigned because it hasn't been up to a week I started work and it has been from one issue to another. I should have known from the onset that I am not meant to work here. To hell with three hundred and fifty thousand nairas.

I am done working here. I take out a white sheet of paper and start typing my resignation letter.

ROTIMI'S POV

I didn't expect that from Vana and to say I wasn't surprised that she slapped her was an understatement. I only thought she was bluffing. Why have I brought Eri nothing but a problem? First, it was my brother and now Vana. I should have known better to keep my mouth shut the day she came for an interview maybe this wouldn't have happened. I was just overjoyed to see someone who treats me like a person and not an egg who could easily break. It's so crazy how someone you met in one night could change your entire life. 

I know there's nothing I can say to Eri to make her feel better for what Vana did. She's older than her and I can understand how humiliating it's for her.   I glanced up at Teti after Eri went back to her office.

" What? This is not my fault " He says and shrugged his shoulder.

I didn't bother to say anything to him as I walked out of his office. I stopped to look at Eri who was busy typing on her computer acting like nothing just happened. She probably needs some time alone.

I left the office only to meet Vana standing at the entrance waiting for me. I ignore her and turn to head for my office when she held me back by my suit.

" Rotimi, please wait," She says.

" I am not in the mood to talk, " I said my back still turn to her.

She released her hand from my suit. I was about to walk out on her but stops in my track immediately after she mentioned that statement.

" Are you in love with her?"

TBC....................

Kindly Drop Your Thought On This Episode Or Type Am Following.