EPISODE 11

BATTLE OF FATE

SOLELY WRITTEN BY EWATOMI ABIODUN

EPISODE 11

I was lost for words as I  look at my phone shattered all over the floor. I knew the stress I passed through before I got this phone and I can't believe it's gone just like that because looking at it on the floor, I know it's unrepairable. I am not a fan of  iPhone so I  got an Android phone worth eighty thousand nairas before I can get my dream phone which is Samsung. A tear slide down my face which I quickly wipe away with the back of my palm before it drops to the floor.

I raised my head up to look at him  and gave him a tight smile despite the anger I am feeling and leave for the living room.

" Eri!" He called out my name and try to follow me.

I turn to look at him. " Please don't follow me. I need some time alone" I say and I am glad he didn't follow me as I left the room.

I head for the kitchen and the pot of water was already boiling so I quickly bring out the cassava flour in the cupboard and pour a little content into the pot and start stirring it while I warm the soup. After I was done, I served Rotimi's portion and head to the room to give him. He was sitting on the bed when I entered and immediately he sighted me, he stood on his feet. He already packed my shattered phone from the floor and place it on the nightstand.

" This is your food," I say as I place the tray of food on the small stool and pull it to his front.

" E..Eri " he call my name and I raised my head to look at him smiling  even though I knew he can tell it wasn't genuine.

" Eat your food before it gets cold so you can use your drug. Let me go and get you water  " I say and turn to leave when he pulled me back to him.

" I am so sorry," He says and held my hands squeezing them lightly. "I know I made mistakes, I made you cry, and I hurt you . I have been hot-tempered lately which caused me to do somethings out of proportion . Please forgive me".

" It's okay," I say as I tried to control my tears from falling.

" Eri, it's not okay. Ever since you met me, I have bought nothing to you but pain.  I am sorry . Please talk to me. I know smashing your phone on the floor was disrespectful".

" Rotimi, I am not mad that you smashed my phone on the floor but this is your mother that we are talking about. That woman was crying on phone and you expect me not to tell her you are with me. For her to be able to get my contact and ask of you, don't you think she already knows you are here " I say as tears streamed down my face.

" You won't understand, Eri ".

" Make me understand. You came into my house and collapsed. What if you have died? Do you think there's any explanation I can  say that will save me ?" I say angrily.

" Thanks to you, I am now a bad person in your mum's eyes too . More reason I won't be resuming back to the company. How did she even get my contact ?".

" I am very sure it's the handiwork of Vana. Teti knows better to mind his business.
" I am sorry," He says and wipes my tears away with his thumb, and pulls me into a hug.

We were in each other's arms for a while as I sob quietly. I pull away from his embrace when I noticed he is still burning up. " Please eat your food before it gets cold so you can take your drugs but you need to call your mum first so her mind can be at rest ".

" I will call her later ".

" No, you need to call her now," I say and give him his phone.

He dialed her number and place it on  loudspeaker for me to hear. " Hello, mum ".