EPISODE 8

BATTLE OF FATE

SOLELY WRITTEN BY EWATOMI ABIODUN

EPISODE 8

ROTIMI'S POV

FLASHBACK

Vana's dad and my dads are friends and business associates before my dad starts his own company and her dad is one of the shareholders. Right from when she was little, she has always been clingy to me anytime her Dad brought her to our house to see my Dad. I hated her at first for being too clingy and  I could remember how I would run away from her and lock myself up in my room anytime her dad brings her yet she didn't back down. She could stay outside my room crying or calling my name to open the door for her but as time goes on I started taking a liking for her as the little sister I never had.

My parents were so surprised when they noticed the way I gave her access to my room and play with her because I am always known to be by myself.  At first,  They thought I was an autistic patient because I don't play or mingle with anybody apart from them and my brother. I could throw tantrums anytime an outsider tries to play or communicate with me even when I was in school so they had to withdraw me and homeschool me. It came as a shock to them when they see the way I treated Vana differently.

I know my mum has always jokingly called her my wife anytime her Dad brought her to our place but I didn't read the meaning to it because I felt she's still little to take her seriously. When she was ten years old, she starts calling me her boyfriend to her friends but I ignore it because I was so sure she would outgrow any crush she has on me but it seems the more she grows up, the more obsessed she's with me.

She could scare any lady she sees with me away claiming me as her boyfriend. I started giving her space when she was in her teens since I noticed the way she always acts around me  and I was glad when her Dad finally sent her abroad to study . I was so surprised when she graduates and comes back home to see her  working with us in my Dad's company when her Dad has his own. Her constant visit to our house was becoming too much and the way my mum treats her like she's her daughter-in-law was too overbearing for me so  I had to move out to my own house. I see her as my little sister and nothing more but blame it to my mum who has been feeding her nonsense that she holds a place in my heart because of the way I treated her differently when she was little.

BACK TO PRESENT

I left Teti's office only to meet Vana standing at the entrance waiting for me. I ignore her and turn to head for my office when she held me back by my suit.

" Rotimi, please wait," She says.

" I am not in the mood to talk, " I said my back still turn to her because I am still angry at her and I don't want to say a word am gonna regret later.

She released her hand from my suit and  I was about to walk out on her but stops in my track immediately after she mentioned that statement.

" Are you in love with her? Because she's the first person that will ever make you yell at me like that " She says with a teary voice.

" Vana, I don't know what my mum has been feeding you and I have been trying to tolerate all your attitude for so long but it's becoming too much for me. I see you as my little sister and nothing more " I say as I turn to face her.

" I love you Rotimi," She says and burst into fresh tears. She moves closer to me and held me by suit but I know better not to console her so she won't read another meaning into it.

" That's the problem. I don't love you because you are my younger sister. Stop getting obsessed with me. You are too young for this. I am twenty-seven and you are just going to clock twenty-one next year. Don't you see the age gaps? Moreover, I don't believe in love so stop waiting for me. You are smart, beautiful, hardworking and I am sure a lot of men are waiting out there for you".

" I study business administration because of you. I came back home because of you. I kept myself because of you.  Please don't do this to me. Please tell me you don't love her. I can tolerate the fact that you have flings here and there but I can't take it if you love another person.  This is Vana, your baby girl " She says holding my suit tightly as tears streamed down her eyes.

" I didn't force you to do any of this. You did that out of your own will. Whether I love Eri or not, it still boils down to the fact that I see you as my younger sister and never for once have any emotional feelings for you. Stop letting my mum's word get into your head. You might think you know me because we grew up together but you don't. I see the way you behave to all my past assistants but I ignore it. Eri is older than you, why would you slap her? This is not the Vana I know when she was little ".

" I am ..so sorry " Her voice cracks. I can apologize to her but please tell me you don't love her ?" She says with tears.

I shake my head at her and gently remove her hand from my suit. " This is my fault. I regret the day I gave you access to my room " I say and walked out on her ignoring her cries.

ERI'S POV

Has he seen it?

He should have seen it by now.

What if he didn't check it?

I keep pacing back and forth in my room as I think about the resignation letter I dropped with the documents for Teti when I close for the day. He was busy working on his computer when I got into his office to tell him I was going home. My resignation letter was placed on the documents I came to submit to him so I was expecting him to check it like he always does but instead, he told me to drop it on the desk that he will go through them once he gets home.

We are to travel to South Africa on Monday to meet some business partners about the ongoing project and I wonder how he's going to feel when he sees my resignation letter.

He must be happy after seeing that resignation letter. Is that not what he wants? Thank God today is Friday, he should take Mahnoor with him or better still find someone else. But how is he going to cope? I doubt Mahnoor or the new assistant he employs will quickly adapt to all the schedules I already made.

Eri! you should be worried about yourself. You are now jobless. He must have seen the resignation letter and taken it as nothing. You won't be the first assistant to resign so why do you think yours would be different? He must have slept by now while you are here worrying about him.

God! why did I even resign? At least I would have tolerate this month then collect my salary before resigning. So all the overload works I did was gone just like that with nothing to bring home. He must see me as the most stupid woman on earth.

I was jolted out of thought by the knock on my door. Who could it be by this time? I glanced up at the wall clock and it was 11 pm. It must be  Maami. Haven't I told her not to always come to my house very late like this?

I walked towards the door and turn the doorknob. " Maami, Se bi mo ........" I swallow the rest of my words as I came face to face with Teti immediately I open the door.

TBC...............................

Kindly Drop Your Thought On This Episode Or Type Am Following.