EPISODE 5

BATTLE OF BATE

SOLELY WRITTEN BY EWATOMI ABIODUN

EPISODE 5

" Eri, you will be attending a meeting conference with Mr. Teti for ......."

We both turned our heads towards the direction the voice came from and my eyes widened in shock when I came face to face with Vana whose mouth was wide open with Teti beside her who was now sending me a fierce glare with a disgusting look.

I quickly pull away from Rotimi and was about to explain myself and as if that was not enough, Noor also met us in that compromise position while Teti walked away angrily.

" I swear, it's not what you think ...."

" You don't have to explain anything, Eri. The meeting conference will be starting at 10 am. Kindly prepare yourself as you will be the one jotting down some important things for Mr. Teti " Vana says cutting me short.

I could swear I see some hint of sadness in her eyes even though it was only for a second. She glanced up at Rotimi and gave me a tight smile before she left. Noor gave me a look of “ I thought you said you don't know him  " as she greeted Rotimi briefly and walk towards her desk. The funniest part is that Rotimi didn't act like someone who was bothered about what just happened.  Yes, he shouldn't be bothered because he won't be the one his brother is going to treat unfairly. How do I clear my name that I have nothing to do with him after what just happened? No one in their right senses will believe me after meeting us in that position.

How do I say I have nothing to do with him when all fingers are pointing directly at me. If truly I don't know him, why would he hug me on my second day at work? I know Vana will think I use what I have to get this job likewise it was the other way round.

" Can I see you in the private, please ?" I tell Rotimi and walk out of the office while he followed me. I found a secluded area around the office premises because I am not ready for the preying eyes thinking an employee is having an affair with one of the CEOs. I tend to make my conversation short with him before anyone comes here.

" What's that hug for Mr. Rotimi?" I ask trying to control my anger as I turn to face him.

" Eri, I already told you to stop with the honor....."

I cut him short angrily by raising my hand at him. At this point, I don't care if I lose my job. I just wanted to know why he keeps complicating things for me. " I already told you, I don't know you. We are in two different worlds and there's no way our path can cross. You mistook me for someone else so please leave me alone and stop letting people assume I had a fling with you to get this job " I say clasping my hands together.

He let out a laugh. " Eri, why do you care about what people have to say? You know deep down you are not what they think you are so let them assume whatever they like " He says nonchalantly and shrugged his shoulder.

I scoff. " Let them assume what they like? I wish it is as easier as you say, Mr. Rotimi . Can you please leave me the hell alone.  I don't know you " I say and try to walk out on him. He can fire me for all I care at least I won't have to face his arrogant brother or explain myself to anyone.

Reaching out, he grabbed my hand and pull me back. I gave him a fierce glare as I yank my hand of his and shake my head with wide eyes.

" Don't you hear a simple word? I said I don't know you. If you have no worry because you have everything you wanted then leave me alone and go find people in your caliber" I shouted at him and turn to leave.

" No 13, Resale street off Havre road, " He says making me stop on my track.

That's my home address.