EPISODE 12

BATTLE OF FATE

SOLELY WRITTEN BY EWATOMI ABIODUN

EPISODE 12

I sit up immediately with my eyes wide open." Maami," I say with a surprised look waking Rotimi in the process. For once, I regret giving my mum the key to my house. I forgot she always branch to my place every  Monday morning when coming from church vigil to pray for me before going home. I couldn't look her in the eyes as I cover my face with my palms thinking of how I am going to explain to her.

My mum quickly changes her facial expression immediately Rotimi sit up. " Ekaaro Baba mi (Good morning Daddy )" She says in a sarcastic tone.

" G.. good morning Ma "Rotimi quickly says and gets down from the bed.

" Maami, this is Rotimi my .....  " She didn't let me complete my sentence.

" Let's pray, " She says and I had no choice but to get down from the bed and kneel in front of her.

" Baba mi (My daddy), you can join us too," She tells Rotimi feigning a smile.

" Ok ma " Rotimi reply with a smile and kneel beside me and I wonder if he knows my mum is feigning her smile or he was just playing along.

" Ni oruko Jesu ( In the name of Jesus), God I want you to forgive us. We all sin in different ways but some sins need serious prayer as we bring your children towards you. God! you have never disgraced me before that's why I am begging you that any evil spirit that lurks around trying to disgrace me through my daughter, may the fire of you destroy it this minute".

" Amen! " Rotimi and I chorused.

" Eri, your Amen is not sounding," My mum says and gives me a resounding slap on my shoulder and I could see the surprised look on Rotimi's face as he quickly opens his eyes to see what happened.

God! Why is my mum's hand hard like steel? I squeezed my eyes painfully as I rub my shoulder.

" God! I am repeating it, if there's an evil spirit that wants to shame me through my daughter, may your thunder strike it this minute".

I know better to shout this time if I don't want another hot slap on my back. " Amen," Rotimi and I both screamed in unison.

I try to hold my laugh because I was surprised at the way Rotimi screamed his lungs out. I guess he was also afraid of getting that slap from my mum. My mum continued her sarcasm prayers and I was glad when a call came through my phone because I know she's not stopping anytime soon.

" Maami, someone is calling me " I quickly say.

She ended the prayer and sit on the bed looking around finding some evidence while I walk towards the nightstand to pick my phone though the call already ended. Rotimi stands on his feet leaning his back on the wall looking at the floor.

" Come and sit down Baba mi," My mum says with a smile patting the space beside her looking him up and down.

" Thank you ma. I am okay like this" He says with a smile.

" Haba! Come and sit down joor " She says cajoling him and he has no choice but to sit beside her.

I checked the caller and it was Teti. He called back and this time I pick the call at the first ring. " Hello, sir ".

" Eri, I am waiting for you. Please be here by 8 am. We are catching the flight to South Africa by 9 am and please pack some few clothes because we might not come back today  " He says and hangs up.

" Ok, sir ".

I already made up my mind not to resume but because of my mum, I had to rethink. She would have calmed down by the time I am back from the trip so I decided to go. I glanced up at the wall clock and it's seven o clock on the dot which means I only have about thirty minutes to dress up.