EPISODE 3

BATTLE OF FATE

SOLELY WRITTEN BY EWATOMI ABIODUN

EPISODE 3

ERI'S POV

" Hi Ms. Eri, Congratulations . You have been assigned to the post of executive assistant . Kindly resume work today by 8 am. Good luck on your first day in your new venture".

I was in a daze for about twenty minutes as I read the message over and over again. I don't know whether to be happy, scared, or sad. The message gave me a whirl of emotions. I quickly dialed my mum's number and she picked up on the first ring. 

"Hello, Oko mi (My dear )" She says immediately the call was connected.

" Maami, I just got a message to start work at that company," I say quickly.

" Wow, that's a good thing," She says happily.

" Good thing?" I asked in total disbelief.

" Is it supposed to be a bad thing ?".

" Maami, do you know the company I am talking to you about ?"

" Yes.  Is it not the one that the arrogant boy abused you ?".

" Yes. So how is it a happy thing?" I say starting to get angry. " Do you forget I splashed water onto his face ?".

" I know . He might want to apologize for what he did that's why  you are given the job ".

" Apologize? Do you think that bastard is going to apologize? I doubt that. What if this message is a trap to arrest me" I say worriedly.

" Calm down Eri, Why would he arrest you ? Ko to be ( He dare not ) . You didn't kill him, and if someone is supposed to get arrested it should be him".

" Maami, I don't think I will go ".

" You will go, my dear. Have you forgotten three hundred and fifty thousand nairas (350,000)? " She asks.

I stayed silent for a while thinking about that money. Who says money is not powerful?

" Are you there?" My mum called my name jolting me out of my thought.

" Yes..yes I am " I quickly answer.

" If your mind doesn't go, then don't go. You know I won't force you to do what you don't like and if you are afraid that the bastard will arrest you, I can follow you there " She said suggestively.

I let out a laugh. " Don't worry Maami. I will go and if I notice anything unusual I will call you immediately. Moreover, I am sure I won't be his Executive Assistant. Let me quickly go and take my bath. It's seven o clock already and I need to get there latest by 7:45 am " I told her as I get down from my bed.

" Okay, dear. God will protect you for me ..." I roll my eyes as she starts with her prayer forgetting I just told her I need to take my bath.

Amin! Amin !! Amin!!!

I keep saying “Amen” to her prayers as I get impatient.

" Maami" I drawled her name since I noticed her prayers are not ending anytime soon.

" Bo de se ma ri niyen loruko Jesu (So shall it be in the name of Jesus) " She says as she concludes her prayers.

" Amin ".

" Make sure you call me immediately you get to the company's entrance so my mind can be at rest. If you are not comfortable please leave the place immediately. You will get another job with a better offer than this " She says and I could detect some hints of worry in her voice.